Author Topic: I like Cooking Deserts in Dutch Ovens  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I like Cooking Deserts in Dutch Ovens
« on: July 09, 2006, 03:19:20 PM »
I get together with a couple Friends every month. We just pick some nice place to camp out & cook in Dutch Ovens. The last time we got together I made 2 differnt Cookie Dough cobblers. On the Peach Cobbler Friday I made a Sugar Cookie Dough for the Crust. Came out OK but I think I needed more Top heat to get the Dough done Quicker so the jucies wont soak up as much. Still was Good. Saturday I made My version of an Apple Crisp by making an Raisian- Oatmeal Cookie Dough for the Crust. I used a little more heat this time. It came out great. I used standard Scratch Cookie Dough recipe out of a Cookbook.  I like playing around with differnt recipes and changing them around to try something differnt. My Son & I have made a 2 layer Chocolate Cake in 2 10" Dutch Ovens. We tryed Cake Flour for the first time & it made a big differnce over all-pupose flour. Dont know if cake flour is "PC" but it made the cake taste better.  anyone got any good desert storys or experinces?  Wishbone-Ks

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: I like Cooking Deserts in Dutch Ovens
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 04:44:58 PM »
They didn't call it cake flour as such, it was soft flour.  a lot of times flour choice depended on the region one was from and what kind of wheat grew locally.  Thats why biscuits became so popular in the South, they often lacked flour with enough gluten to make yeast breads.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline oscar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 11:40:36 PM »
Last summer my wife took her Girlscout troop tent camping, I brought our travel trailer and our little boy so dad had someone to talk to during the weekend. Mom used the trailer to cheat when she needed something at the tent area. Any way she has seen me make countless chocolate cakes in my 12 dutch and so she was going to give it a shot.   Well, she did and it was a disaster, I just stayed away so as to not boss her around and so she could learn by doing. The cake was eaten under a tarp because it rained and the girls ate the top only calling it ash cake, she burned it by placing too many coals under it and, omitted something from the recipe, that I will never know what it was. I think trying to work around 12 screaming girls does not lend itself to any form of calm to do this right, anyway, it was her first and probably her last. She tried under wierd circumstances.

Oscar,   
Oscar

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:31:59 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com