Author Topic: Are any of you,  (Read 4340 times)

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Are any of you,
« on: July 02, 2006, 09:07:52 AM »
  Are any of you, familar with a .44 Evans rifle and ammo.  Yesterday my friend and I stopped at my one of my favorite Toy store. They had one on the rack they had recently accquired. This rifle loads from the butt stock and is lever fed. One of the things I am curious about is the ammo Rim primed or centered primed? I had never heard of this gun nor seen one but it looked very cool.  Last patent date on barrel was 1871

lr
Mathew 5.9

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Are any of you,
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 03:50:19 PM »
There's twq rounds, the Old model is a bit shorter and the rifle holds 32 rounds, the New Model is longer so it only holds 28. :o
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 05:10:28 PM »
 Thanks Del, I have also visited Mr. Google today..................In the movie Crossfire Trail, Wilford Brimely was caring one. Here some interesting info

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/blancard/evans.htm
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:49:19 PM »

44caliberkid

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »
I have an Evans and Lone Gunman does too.  He's used his for at least one stage in a match.  There is an Evans 44  short and a Long.  Buffalo Arms has brass and reloading dies.   Bullets are another matter, as production tolerances weren't great and groove diameters tend to fluctuate a lot, got to slug the barrel.
  The 28 round rotary mag (the wests first assault rifle) would be a pain at matches because you'd have to load ten rounds, then cycle the action 18 times to get the first one up the shoot. 
  There are several kinds of brass that can be used to make 44 Evans, I hope to get some rounds together someday.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 04:12:56 AM »
44, thanks the info I have found so far said you could cut down 38-40 and British 303 depending on version and use round balls to load. This paticular Rifle is a 2 piece stock, I was thinking more in the lines of collectiblity, not that I wouldn't shoot it.<<<If I couldn't shoot it I wouldn't buy it

lr
Mathew 5.9

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 01:08:14 PM »
The one in Crossfire Trail is the later round since Wilford says it holds 28 rounds.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 05:00:27 PM »
The one in Crossfire Trail is the later round since Wilford says it holds 28 rounds.  ;D

Slim

You are right he did say that, that is why he used it< I didn't realize what he was using watching the movie was drooling over the break opens
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com