Well, other than the power going out just as I was about to swing my hammer to center-punch one of the holes
, everything went well. The arbor has been adjusted and the frame and barrel assembly meet up well (on both, as the new one also turned out to be quite short); and the plunger springs are installed and the hands are functioning properly. Perhaps Uberti has improved their stock handsprings, because they were quite a bit tougher to break than I had previously seen demonstrated. The pressure on the hand by the plunger springs is also noticeably lighter than stock, as the cylinder has about twice as much rotation in free spin, which I guess adds to the cool factor
But, aside from a few more minor adjustments, all is functioning well, so I move on to a far less nerve-wracking portion of this project: re-bluing.
To me, a rust blue is peerless in terms of looks. I've read a lot of arguments on it's durability in comparison to modern finishing methods, but I've always been more than satisfied.
I just ordered a bottle of Birchwood Casey blue remover (want to take it easy on that engraving), and reordered the grip blanks.
It may be a while before my next update, finding time for my project between work and all. I think I'll finish one at a time so that I can take a side by side before and after photo of a stock and finished revolver together.