Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 02:26:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Checkered Pistol Grips? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do your pistolas have checkered grips?
Yes
No
Other: explain

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Checkered Pistol Grips?  (Read 78580 times)
Will Ketchum
Chief of Detectives
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Pete Ersland

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2004, 09:41:46 am »

Looks wise I really like the black rubber grips with the nickle.

Must date back to the days of the TV show "Colt 45" where the nephew of Sam Colt traveled the West s a Colt salesman.  He had a case with samples in and carried a brace of 7 1/2" Nickle plated Peacemakers with the black grips Cool

Will Ketchum

Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI
Paper Chaser
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2004, 04:03:44 pm »

Checkered grips on one of my '58 Remingtons, smooth on the others.  Like these on my Stampede.

* 100_0936.JPG (32.93 KB, 540x360 - viewed 675 times.)

* 100_0938.JPG (26.13 KB, 540x360 - viewed 686 times.)

SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS
Capt. Jack McQuesten
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2004, 04:05:45 pm »

The grips on my RBV are checkered polymer ivory. They came on the gun that I bought from a pard, so I don't know who makes them. The only marking on the inside is either a "N" or a "Z" depending how you look at it. These are thinner than the factory ones on my standard RB. I would like to get a matching set for my RV as I have the factory grips on that one now and they are a might thick for me.

SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."
Micheal Fortune
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 05:04:50 pm »

I voted yes, and I do on my NRV's and I like them a lot, and my clones I have smooth one piece walnut grips that I like on them too. Roll Eyes

Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /
Four-Eyed Buck
Top Active Citizen

Tusco LongRiders,

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 11:19:04 pm »

I put other because I've got an NRV with the checkered grips and like it , but also have clones with smooth wood and one set of ivory polimer laser engraved and like those as well........Buck Cool Roll Eyes Wink

I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....
Modoc
Top Active Citizen

Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006, 10:09:36 pm »

Gotta say other.  Have both and actually want to addcheckerd grips to my RV's in 44 x-long.  Use them as back-up when hunting.  the Hornady Custom loads really make the pistola try and jump out of the hand with the smooth grip Shocked.

Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante
Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2006, 01:43:38 am »

I checked "other" because I like some kind of textuire on my grips but it doesn't have to be checkering. Stag, checkering, engraving, etc.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Avery Goodday
Citizen

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 11:01:09 pm »

I checked "other", so guess I owe all y'all an explanation.  Simple, really.  I have simulated stag horn on my .45 Vaqueros.  Shoot duelist and like the feel of these grips.  Not smooth, not as rough as checkering.  Works for me.

Any time I can get dressed-up as a cowboy; then go out and spend a day with some of the finest people you'll ever hope to meet; all while shooting my SA revolvers, lever-action rifle and double-barrel shotgun; well sir, that is a very good day.  Play on!
Jubal Starbuck
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2006, 06:59:29 pm »

I have checkered grips on my '75 Remingtons and like them very well.  They're slimmer than factory wood grips and just feel better.  I also have checkered hard rubbers on a New Vaquero and two old Model Vaqueros which I also like.  I have plain walnut on several clones, as well as one Colt and one Bisley Vaquero with stag grips. I think it varies with each revolver,as well as how ya shoot 'em.

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck
Driftwood Johnson
Driftwood Johnson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 03:50:37 pm »

A picture is worth a thousand words.

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!
Pappy Hayes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2006, 12:15:54 pm »

All my guns have the stock wood grips that came with them. I want to put some faux ivory grips on all of them. Just have not been able to decide what kind. I have a RM 60 Conversion, Open Top, 58 Remmy. I plan to and a Richard's conversion. I have thought to go with grips with the Mexican eagle but then after seeing that the Richard's R&D made for Tom Seleck in the movie Last Stand at Sabre River had checkered I started thinking going that way. What have other pards used on these type of revolvers? Is there one kind that would be best for my time frame of yearly 70's?
ColonelFlashman
Thank'ee! And Damn Your Eyes.
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

'73 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform, Assit. Commis.

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2006, 05:23:55 am »

My M,H&Co., Remington, Schofield, Webley, etc. pistoles ether came w/ them originally or could be special ordered.
I've also other, Texas Jack makes a Beautifull Steer Head Grips for my M,H&Co. Pocket Army that is Fantabulous.

Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
 :uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:
SFT
Top Active Citizen

You can't kill a man born to hang!

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 06:37:00 pm »

Question about checkered grips; Is it SASS legal to have the stock wood grips carved into "fish scale" design?

Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA
ColonelFlashman
Thank'ee! And Damn Your Eyes.
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

'73 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform, Assit. Commis.

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 06:43:04 pm »

You are able to Carve anythinf you desire intro your grips, just as long as it's purpass is to give a advantage in shooting your 'smokewheel'.

Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
 :uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:
Camille Eonich
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 08:16:34 pm »

Question about checkered grips; Is it SASS legal to have the stock wood grips carved into "fish scale" design?

Yes.

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood
Pinto Being
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 02:00:29 am »

Wool, Silver Creek Slim.  Since you started this conversation, I'll address this to you first, and hope that all the pards will chime in.

I have a passel of Uberti pistolas. And, I'd love to have checkered grips for 'em.

Where are they? Who makes 'em?

As you know, the Ubertis have a one-piece grip.

Is there such a thing on the after-market as a "gunfighter" grip that is the one-piece style for Ubertis?

This ol' boy would buy a mess of 'em if he only knew who sold 'em.

I do know that Ajax and some others will make custom grips if one decided to send them (Ajax, et al) the gun.  But it seems that those grips cost around $60 or so, and require about a  30 day turnaround.

Are there other "gunfighter" style grips out there that are around $40 or so that are made in the one piece style?  Checkered grips that only require a bit of customizin' to make 'em fit an Uberti hogleg?

Gracias, pards.

"Not too proud to cut hay and wild enough to eat it!"
LazyK Pejay
Top Active Citizen

"I'm ordering you to volunteer again Sgt. Tyree...

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 08:30:58 am »

I can't tell the make of Driftwood's pistols. I have the same grips on my Uberti Cattleman and they are about 1/8th" inch short at the bottom. I have not been able to find a grips for the longer grip frame Uberti makes.

LazyK Pejay

McGavin
Thos. C. McGavin, DUSM NMT
Citizen

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2006, 01:02:23 pm »

The grips on both my Cimarron Thunderers are factory checkered. I plan, at some point, to go to faux ivory on my Open Tops and have considered having them checkered, although I am also toying with the ntion of having my SASS number done as playing cards on the outer grip panel. That would be a four, three aces and a seven and all in clubs.

Since the Thunderers don't roll like a plowhandle SAA or Navy that isn't an issue for me. I like the look and feel of checkering and most of my modern grips have been checkered, either factory or aftermarket.

Thos. C. McGavin
DUSM, NM Territory
STORM # 181

"Don't let your mouth overload your hardware, cowboy." Frank Culpepper
SFT
Top Active Citizen

You can't kill a man born to hang!

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2006, 03:58:28 pm »

Got one pair of stag grips that are relatively smooth and thin, the other pair are much older stag that is nearly the thickness of the Ruger factory grips but have lots of bark, which gives the same feel of checkered grips.

Speaking of grips, the folks at Get A Grip are going out of business and everything still in stock is half price or better, so if you are looking for a new pair they might still have some.

Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA
Payday Paul
Citizen

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 12:24:41 am »

I prefer shooting with grips of my own makin' for a couple of reasons.  First and foremost, I can make 'em to fit my hand.  I've been told I have Hobbit hands; I think that's a compliment but I'm not entirely sure.  Well I do have mighty small hands, so I make my grips thinner than most and get better control.  The other reason is it just makes me feel closer to my guns, makes them a little bit more "mine" if you take my meaning.

I use mostly Desert Ironwood for my grips.  It's an unusual wood, real dense and highly figured, and beautiful without bein' too flashy.  Although it can be easily polished to a high gloss, I like to leave 'em just a bit less slippery.  The first few sets I made were two-piece, but I've learned to do one-piece now.  I think they look real nice on my USFA 5-1/2 .45's.

So I shoot with smooth grips - at least until I learn me how to do my own checkerin'!!!
Riot Earp
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2006, 05:02:01 pm »

I just bought a set of Cimarron's checkered hard rubber grips, and I love them. Thinner than the stock walnut grips, they resemble the old Colt eagle grips. You should see them on my antiqued Cimarron! Vintage!
Matthew Duncan
SASS #23189 C.R. # 13
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2006, 10:55:44 am »

No they don't

Shot a match in a rain storm and wished they did!

Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO II or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.
Guns Garrett
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2006, 06:12:07 pm »

I don't, the wife does.  I shoot "double duelist"/gunfighter (as the mood strikes), have small hands, and the smooth grips work better.  The Mrs. shoots Traditional and has Gunfighter grips on her Vaquero Bisleys.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to put in his mouth"
NCOWS #2428
SASS #49238
GAF #301
Long Johns Wolf
Top Active Citizen

"Centaures will make you become addicted"

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2006, 09:05:41 am »

Pinto Being: I have aftermarket one-piece PU ivory grips from Gripmaker (www.gripmaker.com) on all of my Uberti match pistols. Larry Little of Gripmaker is doing checkered ones, too.
Bootsie

BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS
McGavin
Thos. C. McGavin, DUSM NMT
Citizen

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2006, 05:20:01 pm »

I've hankered after Ivory-like grips on my guns but the cost has kept me away. I'd intended to have them scrimshawed with my SASS number as a fan of playing cards with the four, three aces and a seven,all suited except for two of the aces. Can't have a cheater's hand on my guns, now can I?

I may end up with a dress set with the cards and a working set that are checkered. I find that the checkering makes it easier to hold on to the guns when my hands get slick, as others have said. Since I shoot duelist exclusively the extra bite the checkering gives makes for a more secure hold as I cycle the guns.

Thos. C. McGavin
DUSM, NM Territory
STORM # 181

"Don't let your mouth overload your hardware, cowboy." Frank Culpepper
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Checkered Pistol Grips? « previous next »
Jump to: