Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 18, 2019, 04:04:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: 73 or 66 , WHY ??? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 73 or 66 , WHY ???  (Read 2411 times)
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 01:17:25 pm »

CHT..." Man, I'm glad I don't have to pick "

you can say that again !

when planets align...do the deal !
Bryan Austin
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 06:03:31 pm »

I give you an A for getting a 66' and an F for getting rid of the 73'  Tongue
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 06:11:56 pm »

Nah.  You really won't be disappointed.  Both rifles are really great.  NEITHER rifle is CAS ready out of the box but nothing is.  Iffin yer gonna play CAS, the rifles will need some attention.  If you just want user friendly and fun, some judicious rubbin-n-buffin and some replacement springs will go a long way.  The biggest bang for your buck is nice action job.  If you want to really compete, get out your check book, take your broker to lunch (a good lunch), and do some serious modifying.

Now the key information.  The 1866, or the 1873.  Simple .... The Chicken ... or the Egg.  I'd personally go with the '66.  No ... Maybe the '73.  Or ... really the '66.  But But But .. the '73, ...... absolutely Adrian (stolen famous movie line) .... its the '66

I'm lucky.  I was able to acquire my rifles before I came down with Lackafundus.  Lackafundus is a serious ailment.  It is treatable.  A liberal application of Funds will go a long way.  However you'll just stop by the local purveyor of Suppository Shooters and again contract Lackafundus.  Vicious circle.  Best of luck.  Grin
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 06:24:01 pm »

I had to choose one as well.  I chose the '73.... First. Then a few years later, I chose a '66. See? It's a simple decision. One at a time.

CC Griff

Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 07:53:25 pm »

I give you an A for getting a 66' and an F for getting rid of the 73'  Tongue

Yeah ya right definitely an F for that - I had a Uberti 73, on my rack for $400 then later a shootable original 73 for the same money - they both slipped a way - neither of which was a smart decision - but still got a couple 66's,   76,    71, (clones)   92's,     94,     
Theres a Chiappa 86 in the gunshop right now - I am trying to stay outta town till they sell it - dunno if thats gonna work - if it comes home the 71 will go.   
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 11:24:44 am »

Ah yes.  But let us remember ....... When one is worshipping at feet of the Gun Rack, we MUST absolutely remember the words of the Maharishi ....... One CANNOT own too many guns ....... Burma Shave.  No .... really .... The Maharishi said that .... really!!
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 05:45:18 pm »

Ah yes.  But let us remember ....... When one is worshipping at feet of the Gun Rack, we MUST absolutely remember the words of the Maharishi ....... One CANNOT own too many guns ....... Burma Shave.  No .... really .... The Maharishi said that .... really!!

Yeah I know -- I wake up in the night in a sweat "quick its gonna get away!"

n I figured I need to keep the 71 so its legal to buy brass for my 1876 - (well its a good story anyways) we required to own a licenced gun of the perticular calibre in order to purchase ammo - empty unprimed brass is now classified as ammo -

Jake C
Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 11:00:36 am »

When I decided to get my first lever gun, I ultimately went the Uberti 1873 sporting rifle route, in .44-40. Largely for ease of maintenance, what with the slide plates and dust cover and all, and I hadn't heard of the '73's having the loading gate issue. It's been a good rifle so far.

If I had to go back and do it again, I might get the carbine just for ease of handling and so my wife could shoot it some more. Having said that, nothing beats the sporting rifle for aesthetics in my book.

Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 05:41:09 pm »

Ha!!  Ha Ha!!  Harrumpff!!!  I'll give ya aesthetics.  Capitol Asthetics!!!  Ya takes yer average jam and fudge (yum yum) '73 or '66 sporting rifle wid da ubiquitous 24 inch barrel and walk REAL close to MY work bench.  Yepper, and BOOM ..... the front EIGHT inches of barrel just plain FALLS OFF.  Then.  THEN.. TA DA!!  You have an aesthetically MAR-VEL-IOUS 16 inch barrel TRAPPER!!  Incredibly fast handling, light, perfectly balanced and it looks just plain TRIX!!!

Now, admittedly, you do have to put a special Carrier Block in to be able to run short cases and give ya 10 rounds inna magazine, but humdoggie do you ever have one TRIXI rifle.  Same same wid my 16 inch barrel Henry TRAPPER!!  Freaking MAR-VEL-IOUS you bet.

So there   Grin
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 07:24:00 pm »

Ha!!  Ha Ha!!  Harrumpff!!!  I'll give ya aesthetics.  Capitol Asthetics!!!  Ya takes yer average jam and fudge (yum yum) '73 or '66 sporting rifle wid da ubiquitous 24 inch barrel and walk REAL close to MY work bench.  Yepper, and BOOM ..... the front EIGHT inches of barrel just plain FALLS OFF.  Then.  THEN.. TA DA!!  You have an aesthetically MAR-VEL-IOUS 16 inch barrel TRAPPER!!  Incredibly fast handling, light, perfectly balanced and it looks just plain TRIX!!!

Now, admittedly, you do have to put a special Carrier Block in to be able to run short cases and give ya 10 rounds inna magazine, but humdoggie do you ever have one TRIXI rifle.  Same same wid my 16 inch barrel Henry TRAPPER!!  Freaking MAR-VEL-IOUS you bet.

So there   Grin

Jist cant help yr self can ya!!!!   Dunno wot yr momma an daddy wuz thinkin givin ya a hacksaw fr ya third birthday - still I spose it distracted ya from sawin all the legs offn the furniture fr fun.

Hey try this - while you got the sawin bug - cut an anch or inch an a half off the back end (buttstock) and two to three inches off the forend wood - it balances the look of em back - dont have that sawed off shorty look anymore. Ya can sneak up on the opposition with a trapper that looks like a normal size gun unless they get up real close.  Grin

Run full case FF black in em at a competition shoot - awesome flames and smoke - blind the opposition properly - scorers will get really pi$$ed ...............................

Jake C
Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 08:50:08 am »

Why Coffinmaker, you've reminded me - back when I was looking at getting my first lever gun, I was looking at either the Sporting Rifle or the Trapper. Completely forgot about how nice the Trapper looks. Makes me wonder how a Trapper would look with an octagonal barrel. I bet that would be one handsome rifle. Grin

Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800
Slamfire
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 04:05:15 pm »

After doing some ( more ) reading it seems that some models of the 66 do have a problem w/ the tab on the loading gate breaking off ,,.  so on which models is it more of a problem ??

smoke'm if ya' got'm ,,Hootmix.
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 06:34:33 pm »

After doing some ( more ) reading it seems that some models of the 66 do have a problem w/ the tab on the loading gate breaking off ,,.  so on which models is it more of a problem ??

smoke'm if ya' got'm ,,Hootmix.

All '66's have the same weak loading gate tab; no difference from one model to the next.  A few years back Uberti redesigned the weak tab so that the dish was deeper, and this made for less stress on the tab, but it still can break (small caliber is worse).  Lots of folks add some JB weld behind the tab or even solder in a small metal gusset to strengthen it.  Even Miroku has reportedly copied the poor Uberti design on their '66's.

greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 07:48:31 pm »

All '66's have the same weak loading gate tab; no difference from one model to the next.  A few years back Uberti redesigned the weak tab so that the dish was deeper, and this made for less stress on the tab, but it still can break (small caliber is worse).  Lots of folks add some JB weld behind the tab or even solder in a small metal gusset to strengthen it.  Even Miroku has reportedly copied the poor Uberti design on their '66's.

Can we fit a tab from a uberti 73 to the 66?
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 07:53:16 pm »

Jist cant help yr self can ya!!!!   Dunno wot yr momma an daddy wuz thinkin givin ya a hacksaw fr ya third birthday - still I spose it distracted ya from sawin all the legs offn the furniture fr fun.

Hey try this - while you got the sawin bug - cut an anch or inch an a half off the back end (buttstock) and two to three inches off the forend wood - it balances the look of em back - dont have that sawed off shorty look anymore. Ya can sneak up on the opposition with a trapper that looks like a normal size gun unless they get up real close.  Grin

Run full case FF black in em at a competition shoot - awesome flames and smoke - blind the opposition properly - scorers will get really pi$$ed ...............................

Looks like I might have offended Coffin Maker ? If that is so then humble apologies from me - didnt mean it - just funnin around and got a bit carried away with the hacksaw crack.

Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2019, 08:11:28 pm »

greyhawk  Cheesy

Heavens to Mergatroyd NO.  Not at all offended.  Not even annoyed.  These here forums and threads are all about learning stuff and having fun.  When I poke fun a folks, I expect fun to be poked back.  Playin all by yourself inna sandbox is no fun at all!!

By the way.  NO.  The '73 and '66 ladle profiles are completely different.  Uberti use to have a ladle that was bullet proof.  Never broke.  then they decided to "enhance" the design and came up with a new design that was and is gar-un-teed to break.  Some may last a while and some won't last more'n 5 rounds.  There are some aftermarket ladles that are made from much sterner stuff, but are the same basic design with that stupid little bent tab. 

My personal Opine ..... If your '66 has not had that little dumb tab reinforced, whether OEM or aftermarket, it needs reinforcement.  PERIOD.  Atz the only weak spot in the '66
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 09:21:19 pm »

greyhawk  Cheesy

Heavens to Mergatroyd NO.  Not at all offended.  Not even annoyed.  These here forums and threads are all about learning stuff and having fun.  When I poke fun a folks, I expect fun to be poked back.  Playin all by yourself inna sandbox is no fun at all!!

By the way.  NO.  The '73 and '66 ladle profiles are completely different.  Uberti use to have a ladle that was bullet proof.  Never broke.  then they decided to "enhance" the design and came up with a new design that was and is gar-un-teed to break.  Some may last a while and some won't last more'n 5 rounds.  There are some aftermarket ladles that are made from much sterner stuff, but are the same basic design with that stupid little bent tab. 

My personal Opine ..... If your '66 has not had that little dumb tab reinforced, whether OEM or aftermarket, it needs reinforcement.  PERIOD.  Atz the only weak spot in the '66

aaah ha (he sez) our 66's are antique Ubertis - the ones with the trigger block thingy - 1970's vintage - also know a couple more of those locally - know Nuthin about broken ladles never heered of sich a thing till I read about it here - so looks like we got the ones you talk of with the bullet proof ladle?? Huh
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 12:01:41 am »

aaah ha (he sez) our 66's are antique Ubertis - the ones with the trigger block thingy - 1970's vintage - also know a couple more of those locally - know Nuthin about broken ladles never heered of sich a thing till I read about it here - so looks like we got the ones you talk of with the bullet proof ladle?? Huh

Mine made in 2000 has the bulletproof ladle.  I'm not positive, but I think when they got to s/n 99999 on the toggle link guns and started over at W00001 that is approximately the time they changed the ladle.  They also changed the ladle screw size, got larger with the new ladle.

Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2019, 05:28:06 am »

Here is what I can testify to....
I bought a SRC with 1979 date code in March of 1980 , NIB imported by Navy Arms, I know (having bought a case of 38's) I put over a thousand , probably closer to 1600  through it, by the time it was sold in 1988. Never a hickup in 8 years which includes no broken ladle.
All rounds were factory loads of various manufactures.
I sold it and it has stayed around these parts, and as far as I know has not broken , least ways the PO said it has not  Undecided

Several Henry's later and still have 3 of those (2 are 45's) (one is a 44/40 HRA ) and a 73 in 44spcl.
Aside from a buggered magazine spring in a early 1979 Uberti/Navy Arms  44/40 Henry ( my fault) bought NIB , they all have been used in CAS.

Now then, enter a Uberti 66 short rifle in 38spcl. bought NIB from Taylor's in 2012, ladie broke first shot on a second stage
so after a 10 round prior stage... or  11th round it broke.
 This was not my gun, but belongs to my shooting pard so I know it well enough... I repaired it with replacement sent free of charge
 by the girls at Taylor's and now 7 years later , it has not broken...

Truth be known, my Pard changes up with Marlin 94 Cowboy in 45 more often than not , so the 66 is used less than 100% of the time.
If I guessed maybe 500 rounds or so since the new ladie was installed.

Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 01:22:11 pm »

Just Cause.  Early Winchester 1866 Rifles held a FLAT ladle.  I don't know what the cartridge stop looked like.  Nobody who owns one would let me look at it real close (take it apart).  I suspect, the backside of the ladle had a welded lengthwise fence sort of thing.

Later models of the Winchester '66 exhibit a Ladle with a much deeper "scoop" to the business end.  I again suspect the welded fence.  Let us remember, the original Winchester 1866 was, at best only manufactured in 44 Henry Flat, it's equivalent, or the difficult to find Central Fire 44.

Uberti 1866 replicants started with a ladle displaying a modest "scoop" and a welded fence on the back of the ladle.  Indestructible.  This ladle was later enhanced by changing to the "bent tab"guaranteed to break.  The after-market was already providing a replacement ladle with a more correct "deep Scoop" ladle.  Business for the replacement ladle boom'd.  I just automatically replaced the ladle on every '66 I worked on.  Now Uberti has gone to a deeper scoop however it is not yet the deep scoop of the Original Sample Example.  Need the after-market for that.

The After-market ladle from the current vendors is made of much sterner stuff than the OEM Uberti example.  I, personally would still reinforce it.  Just 'cause I'm jaundiced by the constant breakage of the Originals (Uberti).
ira scott
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

AKA: Broken Nose Scotty

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 04:04:36 pm »

Being able to shoot a rifle in the original caliber from 140+ years ago, makes the 73 my first choice. I also appreciate the easier to remove sideplates.  If however you are portraying an earlier time period, shooting a centerfire Henry or 66 is still a hellava lotta fun with a case full of B.P.!

It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 05:04:11 pm »

To expand on that...
" Being able to shoot a rifle in the original caliber from 140+ years ago, makes the 73 my first choice"

having a 73 that is 128 years old you can still shoot !  ...priceless !

Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 11:13:14 pm »

To expand on that...
" Being able to shoot a rifle in the original caliber from 140+ years ago, makes the 73 my first choice"

having a 73 that is 128 years old you can still shoot !  ...priceless !

Yes it is, I have one turning 140 real soon that gets shot once in a while. Black powder of course.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2019, 04:52:21 am »

Of course  Smiley

scrubby2009
Very Active Citizen

Lifelong obsession with '73's

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2019, 12:46:16 pm »

...having a 73 that is 128 years old you can still shoot !  ...priceless !
We could be best pards. Nothing makes me giggle and shout like an afternoon with my iron-frame '73 (ser.#4741) and his companion NMA (ser.# 52,621). Gimme a pound of FFFg and some lead fer castin.... I will perforate paper and murder tin cans til the ol lady sez stop.

Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: 73 or 66 , WHY ??? « previous next »
Jump to: