Author Topic: 73 or 66 , WHY ???  (Read 11698 times)

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
Re: 73 or 66 , WHY ???
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 12:51:25 PM »
I've had both 66 and 73, The 73 was a full race with all the bells and whistles,Super short stroke, coil spring conversion, aluminum lifter block etc.) The 66 had a short stroke kit and action job. I kept the 66 and sold the 73 because for ME, I shot the 66 faster. I have no idea why, but it's what I prefer and will buy more as finances allow. I would sugest that you try both and see which you prefer for your style of shooting.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 01:27:15 PM »
 All of this is very enlightening ,, but also sad,," can't afford " to buy one of each to see which one I will like the best,,, so many gun's soooo little money  ( sigh ).  Of course I'll have to buy used ,, new is not affordable ,, I do like the looks of both models . A older 66 that is hard to get parts for won't be a problem ,long as the bore is good ,, a lot of folks " here " been there done that ( my back-up plan ).  Since I'm already set-up for .429 ,, for both my 92 and my 1875 outlaw ,, should I be looking for the older models ?

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 10:46:18 PM »
Major 2, you have me drooling.  I'd LOVE to have an original '73 in 32WCF!  ;D

Failing that, I wish Winchester could be prevailed upon to have Miroku build them now......... :'(

I have an original '92 in 32-20 that is really slick (for a '92).  I can only imagine what a '73 would be like in that nifty little cartridge.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:33:28 PM »

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 01:12:50 AM »
 Tough, TOUGH choice. Really, the '73 has everything the '66 has, plus a dust cover, more easily removed side plates, lighter receiver and a stronger receiver. But the one think the '66 has that the '73 will never have quite as much of is style. '66's are in a word, beautiful.

I LOVE my '66 in 44-40 and the ladder sights, which I regulated to my load, have provided hours of fun plinking as far out as a smidge over 300 yds, and I even took a meat buck with it a couple of years ago.

So, I would have to choose the 1866 over the 1873, with one caveat- If I had to choose between a reproduction 1866 and an original 1873, I would have to choose the latter. I have two of those, both in 38-40, one born in 1886 and the other in 1888, and both with that "been there, done that" look. The elder of the two has in all certainty been carried all over Hell's Half Acre and has the bumps, dings and bruises to prove it. These too are immensely fun to shoot and also are used for game here around the house.

Man, I'm glad I don't have to pick, but I wish you the best in your decision!

CHT

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 08:00:33 AM »
What is the difference ,between drooling & slobbering ,,,CHT , beautiful pair , thanks for the pics.  I honestly don't think I will be disappointed , with which ever model I finally end up with .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »
CHT..." Man, I'm glad I don't have to pick "

you can say that again !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 05:03:31 PM »
I give you an A for getting a 66' and an F for getting rid of the 73'  :P
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »
Nah.  You really won't be disappointed.  Both rifles are really great.  NEITHER rifle is CAS ready out of the box but nothing is.  Iffin yer gonna play CAS, the rifles will need some attention.  If you just want user friendly and fun, some judicious rubbin-n-buffin and some replacement springs will go a long way.  The biggest bang for your buck is nice action job.  If you want to really compete, get out your check book, take your broker to lunch (a good lunch), and do some serious modifying.

Now the key information.  The 1866, or the 1873.  Simple .... The Chicken ... or the Egg.  I'd personally go with the '66.  No ... Maybe the '73.  Or ... really the '66.  But But But .. the '73, ...... absolutely Adrian (stolen famous movie line) .... its the '66

I'm lucky.  I was able to acquire my rifles before I came down with Lackafundus.  Lackafundus is a serious ailment.  It is treatable.  A liberal application of Funds will go a long way.  However you'll just stop by the local purveyor of Suppository Shooters and again contract Lackafundus.  Vicious circle.  Best of luck.  ;D

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 05:24:01 PM »
I had to choose one as well.  I chose the '73.... First. Then a few years later, I chose a '66. See? It's a simple decision. One at a time.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »
I give you an A for getting a 66' and an F for getting rid of the 73'  :P

Yeah ya right definitely an F for that - I had a Uberti 73, on my rack for $400 then later a shootable original 73 for the same money - they both slipped a way - neither of which was a smart decision - but still got a couple 66's,   76,    71, (clones)   92's,     94,     
Theres a Chiappa 86 in the gunshop right now - I am trying to stay outta town till they sell it - dunno if thats gonna work - if it comes home the 71 will go.   

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »

Ah yes.  But let us remember ....... When one is worshipping at feet of the Gun Rack, we MUST absolutely remember the words of the Maharishi ....... One CANNOT own too many guns ....... Burma Shave.  No .... really .... The Maharishi said that .... really!!

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 04:45:18 PM »
Ah yes.  But let us remember ....... When one is worshipping at feet of the Gun Rack, we MUST absolutely remember the words of the Maharishi ....... One CANNOT own too many guns ....... Burma Shave.  No .... really .... The Maharishi said that .... really!!

Yeah I know -- I wake up in the night in a sweat "quick its gonna get away!"

n I figured I need to keep the 71 so its legal to buy brass for my 1876 - (well its a good story anyways) we required to own a licenced gun of the perticular calibre in order to purchase ammo - empty unprimed brass is now classified as ammo -

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 10:00:36 AM »
When I decided to get my first lever gun, I ultimately went the Uberti 1873 sporting rifle route, in .44-40. Largely for ease of maintenance, what with the slide plates and dust cover and all, and I hadn't heard of the '73's having the loading gate issue. It's been a good rifle so far.

If I had to go back and do it again, I might get the carbine just for ease of handling and so my wife could shoot it some more. Having said that, nothing beats the sporting rifle for aesthetics in my book.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 04:41:09 PM »

Ha!!  Ha Ha!!  Harrumpff!!!  I'll give ya aesthetics.  Capitol Asthetics!!!  Ya takes yer average jam and fudge (yum yum) '73 or '66 sporting rifle wid da ubiquitous 24 inch barrel and walk REAL close to MY work bench.  Yepper, and BOOM ..... the front EIGHT inches of barrel just plain FALLS OFF.  Then.  THEN.. TA DA!!  You have an aesthetically MAR-VEL-IOUS 16 inch barrel TRAPPER!!  Incredibly fast handling, light, perfectly balanced and it looks just plain TRIX!!!

Now, admittedly, you do have to put a special Carrier Block in to be able to run short cases and give ya 10 rounds inna magazine, but humdoggie do you ever have one TRIXI rifle.  Same same wid my 16 inch barrel Henry TRAPPER!!  Freaking MAR-VEL-IOUS you bet.

So there   ;D

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 06:24:00 PM »
Ha!!  Ha Ha!!  Harrumpff!!!  I'll give ya aesthetics.  Capitol Asthetics!!!  Ya takes yer average jam and fudge (yum yum) '73 or '66 sporting rifle wid da ubiquitous 24 inch barrel and walk REAL close to MY work bench.  Yepper, and BOOM ..... the front EIGHT inches of barrel just plain FALLS OFF.  Then.  THEN.. TA DA!!  You have an aesthetically MAR-VEL-IOUS 16 inch barrel TRAPPER!!  Incredibly fast handling, light, perfectly balanced and it looks just plain TRIX!!!

Now, admittedly, you do have to put a special Carrier Block in to be able to run short cases and give ya 10 rounds inna magazine, but humdoggie do you ever have one TRIXI rifle.  Same same wid my 16 inch barrel Henry TRAPPER!!  Freaking MAR-VEL-IOUS you bet.

So there   ;D

Jist cant help yr self can ya!!!!   Dunno wot yr momma an daddy wuz thinkin givin ya a hacksaw fr ya third birthday - still I spose it distracted ya from sawin all the legs offn the furniture fr fun.

Hey try this - while you got the sawin bug - cut an anch or inch an a half off the back end (buttstock) and two to three inches off the forend wood - it balances the look of em back - dont have that sawed off shorty look anymore. Ya can sneak up on the opposition with a trapper that looks like a normal size gun unless they get up real close.  ;D

Run full case FF black in em at a competition shoot - awesome flames and smoke - blind the opposition properly - scorers will get really pi$$ed ...............................

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 07:50:08 AM »
Why Coffinmaker, you've reminded me - back when I was looking at getting my first lever gun, I was looking at either the Sporting Rifle or the Trapper. Completely forgot about how nice the Trapper looks. Makes me wonder how a Trapper would look with an octagonal barrel. I bet that would be one handsome rifle. ;D
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 03:05:15 PM »
 After doing some ( more ) reading it seems that some models of the 66 do have a problem w/ the tab on the loading gate breaking off ,,.  so on which models is it more of a problem ??

smoke'm if ya' got'm ,,Hootmix.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 05:34:33 PM »
After doing some ( more ) reading it seems that some models of the 66 do have a problem w/ the tab on the loading gate breaking off ,,.  so on which models is it more of a problem ??

smoke'm if ya' got'm ,,Hootmix.

All '66's have the same weak loading gate tab; no difference from one model to the next.  A few years back Uberti redesigned the weak tab so that the dish was deeper, and this made for less stress on the tab, but it still can break (small caliber is worse).  Lots of folks add some JB weld behind the tab or even solder in a small metal gusset to strengthen it.  Even Miroku has reportedly copied the poor Uberti design on their '66's.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »
All '66's have the same weak loading gate tab; no difference from one model to the next.  A few years back Uberti redesigned the weak tab so that the dish was deeper, and this made for less stress on the tab, but it still can break (small caliber is worse).  Lots of folks add some JB weld behind the tab or even solder in a small metal gusset to strengthen it.  Even Miroku has reportedly copied the poor Uberti design on their '66's.

Can we fit a tab from a uberti 73 to the 66?

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 06:53:16 PM »
Jist cant help yr self can ya!!!!   Dunno wot yr momma an daddy wuz thinkin givin ya a hacksaw fr ya third birthday - still I spose it distracted ya from sawin all the legs offn the furniture fr fun.

Hey try this - while you got the sawin bug - cut an anch or inch an a half off the back end (buttstock) and two to three inches off the forend wood - it balances the look of em back - dont have that sawed off shorty look anymore. Ya can sneak up on the opposition with a trapper that looks like a normal size gun unless they get up real close.  ;D

Run full case FF black in em at a competition shoot - awesome flames and smoke - blind the opposition properly - scorers will get really pi$$ed ...............................

Looks like I might have offended Coffin Maker ? If that is so then humble apologies from me - didnt mean it - just funnin around and got a bit carried away with the hacksaw crack.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com