Author Topic: Holes in Bambi  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Holes in Bambi
« on: November 11, 2018, 02:58:28 PM »
Howdy,

I noticed that my 45 Colt Cowboy rifle knocks Bambi down pronto and that the big soft slug pushed along with Holy Black doesn't do near the damage to meat as my .257 Durham Jet (308 necked to .25 Cal with body and shoulder fire formed) &100 Gr. Nosler partition moving along at 3200 fps.  Yup, my 200 Gr. J/P 45 Big Lube® boolits are only wandering along around 1200 fps, but they don't make near the bloodshot wound channel.  So, since all my gun hunting will be done around my blind/house at less than 100 yards, I'm intending to use my Win. 73 45 Colt Cowboy Action rifle.  So, Bambi lives a millisecond longer. . . .  Besides humane killing, I get flames and smoke!

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Holes in Bambi
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 09:46:15 PM »

ABSOLUTELY (stolen famous movie line)   8)

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 11:55:07 PM »
Big and slow saves meat. I shot a nice doe in the front shoulder with my .58 cal rifled musket and the minie ball exited her opposite ham. Although she was skewered diagonally  hardly any meat was ruined.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:16:53 PM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 09:19:48 AM »
My eyesight (combined with antler point restrictions) means I mostly use a modern scoped rifle for Bambi. Anything much shorter than a full length Infantry rifle leaves the front sight a blur. Looking through a peep seems to help, though. I might try outfitting one(or more) of my lever guns with a tang sight. Still will need optics to count points, though-or else only shoot slick heads or "monster bucks" where I don't have to see some brow tines to be sure it's legal.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 02:34:09 PM »
The way my Wisconsin tag reads, brown is down.  Of course I want something heavier than a fawn.  I have over 2500 deer images from my five game cameras on my 5.5 acer homestead.  I've learned that most White Tail hunters are over gunned.  A big bloodshot hole doesn't kill any more dead than my Cowboy Action rifle.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 03:13:52 PM »
I'm agree, most are over gunned. I'm over gunned, I think, with a 308! But, it's what I have that is scoped. I've also taken several with a 38-55, and they were just as dead as with the 308, but noticeably less "bloody".

Bucks in my county must be at least 8 points, unless you're a kid during the youth season. It used to be only some counties had the restriction, maybe it's all now, but I know mine is.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 08:50:00 AM »
Big and slow will lay them low.
Elmer K.says the bigger the hole lets "more air in and more blood out".
I don't hunt any more but it is necessary for good game management PETA not with standing.
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »

PETA.  People Eating Tasty Animals.  The more animal to eat, the better.  I also don't hunt anymore but the last time I went in search of Bambi's Mom, I wet out with a 38-55 loaded with BP.  Back when I was young and full of myself, I hunted with Ruger # 1, in 7mm Magnum.  Tore up a lot of what could have been good meat with that rifle.  Fair hit, the 38-55 dropped em just as quick and just as dead.

If your shooting for trophy something and son't care what happens to the meat, I suppose a righteously fast bullet at 300 yards might be great choice.  Shooting for the pot is a different matter entirely.  Stick with your .45 or something real similar.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »
I've found that I don't have any good recipes for horns.  I want nice tender steaks, chops and roasts.  20% pork works with the ground meat for me.  Yup, I hunt to eat.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 11:03:01 PM »
First off, with all due respect,  why the Hell would you want to put a hole through a cartoon character? (JOKE!)  Nebraska within the last few years modified the 900 foot pounds of energy @100 yds. rifle caliber restriction to allow 45 Colt and 357 magnum rifles, both of which are legal calibers in handguns.(handgun limit is 400 ft/lbs @50yds,) I do find it rather humorous that by the law 44 and 38 WCF would NOT be legal, but at least it's a step in the right direction!

I really LOVE the acronym, People Eating Tasty Animals! The Good Lord would not have made animals taste so damn good if he didn't want us to eat them.
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 08:43:32 AM »
 I don't worry too much about messing up meat because I don't eat lungs.  ;D

I think much of the "power" a lot of hunters use has to do more with flat trajectory than power. Here at the house ranges tend to be within 75 yds. and I hunt with a revolver, usually a .44 Special. But I also have access to a place where deer come out on a wheat field and ranges can be as far as a man is comfortable shooting. That's when the bolts and scopes come out, usually.

But once I feel we have enough meat to last until the next season, I hunt strictly with a revolver.

I've found that I don't have any good recipes for horns.  I want nice tender steaks, chops and roasts.  20% pork works with the ground meat for me.  Yup, I hunt to eat.

I hear ya, I've shot spikes and does the last three seasons. I like a buck with a huge rack, but meat is the priority in this household. I do have to take issue on adding pork, or any other meat for that matter. I'd hate to taint good venison with anything else!

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 11:03:44 AM »
Sadly,  I have killed more deer with my truck,  than with my 30-30. If you hit them just right,  you don't ruin much meat,  or total your truck.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »

DD-MDA

I haven't seen any good ones either. They'll break your teeth if cooked whole, and kind of gritty if ground.

Offline Two Bit Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 07:49:02 PM »

I really LOVE the acronym, People Eating Tasty Animals! The Good Lord would not have made animals taste so damn good if he didn't want us to eat them.

Just so you know, I strongly believe in "Animal Rights",  I like mine "Right" next to the mashed potatoes!

Two-Bit Charlie

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
Well, Miss Bambi is at the cutters now.  Got her last night.  One shot thru the neck and no need to track to find.  Darn little spoiled meat on that deer cept for some of the neck roast maybe.  Some of her meat will go to my youngest daughter.  Her older sister already has one coming from the cutter.  My freezer is full.  Live is good.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 04:19:18 PM »
Well, Miss Bambi is at the cutters now.  Got her last night.  One shot thru the neck and no need to track to find.  Darn little spoiled meat on that deer cept for some of the neck roast maybe.  Some of her meat will go to my youngest daughter.  Her older sister already has one coming from the cutter.  My freezer is full.  Live is good.

DD-MDA

Congrats!

Offline riflee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »
Montana Vintage Arms has a short Malcolm type scope that's period correct fer the older eyes that see blurry sights and peep hole sights.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com