Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 12, 2018, 05:51:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Powder Room - CAS reloading (Moderator: Professor Marvel)  |  Topic: Hollow-base bullets for .44 Colt? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hollow-base bullets for .44 Colt?  (Read 289 times)
Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« on: November 05, 2018, 12:23:55 am »

I've been swaging 200gr HG68 .45 caliber LSWCs into an outside-lubed heel-base bullet for loading in .44 Colt, but I am interested in maybe making my life easier by using hollow-based .44 bullets. I haven't found any commercially available; perhaps I am not looking in the right place?  I can always come up with a set-up to swage my own, but I'd really like to know if any of you have tried this, and how well it worked before I go to all that trouble.
Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:35:11 pm »

OK, since there were no responses to this thread I tried it. I made a swage-block and a male punch to produce the hollow base. I had some random 225gr. wadcutters around and tried it out. Pretty quickly I was producing credible HBWCs. Since punching the hollowbase elongated the bullets I decided to seat them partially outside the case like a conventional bullet.

The picture shows the basic tools- the swaging block, the male punch and the punch I use to drive the swaged bullets out of the block.

Naturally there is no load data for these, so after some research and more math than I really like to do I settled on 5.0gr. of Unique as a starting load. I loaded a box of ammo and headed to the range. Overall it worked- a couple of bullets were yawing when the hit the target at seven yards and one full-on keyholed, but the rest flew straight and hit true.  The 5.0gr load actually may be too light; I plan to bump it up a little and see if I can't get better skirt expansion. Accuracy was quite adequate when I did my part.
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 12:14:25 am »

These guys make a couple hollow base .44's.  Don't know if you still need any since you figured out a solution.
https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com

Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 10:22:25 pm »

Thanks Abilene!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Powder Room - CAS reloading (Moderator: Professor Marvel)  |  Topic: Hollow-base bullets for .44 Colt? « previous next »
Jump to: