Author Topic: The 1860 Henry .44, according to Robert Shimek  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
The 1860 Henry .44, according to Robert Shimek
« on: September 15, 2018, 01:37:24 AM »
Years ago (around 1983 or so), long before I got into Cowboy Action shooting (1994), a gun writer named Robert Shimek did an article on the 1860 .44 Henry, and the Uberti/Navy Arms version of it.  All he had for ammo was Winchester 200 grain Jacketed flat point hunting ammo. It clocked from his Henry replica at about 1130 fps, IIRC.  He mentioned it was appropriate, as the 44 Henry pushed a 200 flat point lead bullet ta about 1120 fps.  He commented that hunters still take deer every year with the factory 44-40 loads, even in the reduced loading.

He attributed the low velocity of the modern loading to the fact that the modern smokeless round was downloaded in case the rounds were used in an iron framed 1873 Winchester or 1889 Marlin.  He also stated that original 44-40 rounds, loaded in balloon head cases with 40 grains of FFFG gave about 1340 fps.  I know from subsequent articles by other authors and my own experiments that the only way to get those velocities from black powder in a solid head 44-40 case that holds about 37 grains is to use Pyrodex P.

Back to Shimek and the 1860 Henry.  He was the first author I know of to refer to the 15 shot 1860 Henry as the Assault Rifle of the Civil War, and compared favorably (for its time) to the 15 shot M1 carbine of WW2.  I have to agree that I agree with Shimek (now deceased) on all counts.  There are a lot of parallels between the Henry and the M1 Carbine, and the 1860 Henry was the first rapid fire assault rifle....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: The 1860 Henry .44, according to Robert Shimek
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:34:05 AM »

ABSOLUTELY ADRIAN (Stolen famous Movie Line).  I don't actually know of this author, but obviously he was very well versed.  I personally have long asserted, when the discussion turned, the Henry was the Grandfather of the "Assault Rifle."  There were even documented events when about 100 Henry armed riflemen turned an entire Battalion Charge.  However .... there was a MAJOR problem with the employment of the "first" assault rifle.

At the time .... The powers that be didn't know what to do with it.  The Generals and Colonels didn't have a clue how to employ it.  Factually, there were a MAJORITY of command people whom considered repeating rifles as a waste of ammunition.  It was felt at the highest levels, troops armed with repeating rifles should only waste their ammunition.  Single shot rifles were the only acceptable armament for troops in the field.  That view persisted for YEARS.  Weight of shot was not understood as volume of fire was not understood.  It was still practice (held over from pikes and lances) to line the troops up in close broad formation and shoot at each other with muzzle loading smooth bore muskets.  Took years to accept the concept of "rifles" and repeaters.

I have often wondered the result of a full Battalion of Henry armed troops, supported by a dozen Gatling Guns and Canister artillery facing one of those attacking forces marching up in close formation.  Well, not really.  I know the result.  I've actually seen the devastation of a couple of Gatling Guns well employed.  I digress.  Lets get back to it.

All Hail the Henry.  Assault the First.  Atz why I have four of em.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 10:59:37 AM »
Research the Turkish/ Russian Battle of Plevna to see what the ‘66 Winchester could do when properly deployed.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:29:12 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 11:19:28 AM »
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF ROBERT T. SHIMEK 1944-2000

Bob Shimek was a popular contributor to the early volumes of Surplus Firearms, which were published during the 1980s and 1990s and are now long out of print. An avid collector of pistols and military rifles, he was a serious student of firearms history. Bob wrote numerous articles and gun reviews as well as the "Collectible Classics" and "Handgun Hunting" columns for many years in Handguns. He was also a frequent contributor to various Guns & Ammo Specialty Publications. Several of Bob's timeless articles are included in this edition of Surplus Firearms.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:10:12 AM »
I remember an article he did on modifying a walker clone then taking a deer with it. He was an interesting and knowledgeable writer I wish we had more like today.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 05:36:34 PM »
He also did a couple great articles on the M1 Carbine.  I think I still have copies.  My dad fought with an M1 Carbine on Iwo Jima, as did his brothers elsewhere in the Pacific.  Despite what armchair commandos and academics might say, my dad and uncles actually thought is was quite a good weapon, as long as you didn't try to use it as a 300 yard rifle!  All the fighting in the Pacific was "close up and personal" unlike Europe or Korea.  They all came home, but the enemy warriors on the receiving end didn't.  "Nuff" said....

I expect the same could be said for the 1860 Henry during the Civil War.  The .44 rimfire sucked at 200 yards or more, but was devastating at close range from entrenched positions, where fire power was needed to overcome the charging forces.  At 100 yards, the 200 grain Henry still has 400+ ft lbs ME, the same as a 45 ACP at the muzzle.  Some how, no one claims the 45 ACP is ineffective!  As the opponents got closer, the thump increased to 550 ft lbs. ME close up.

Is it a .58 caliber, 375 grain Mine' ball?  No, but it still made enemy combatants into non-combatants....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
Research the Turkish/ Russian Battle of Plevna to see what the ‘66 Winchester could do when properly deployed.

That must have been a sight to see!  50,000 entrenched Turkish troops armed with 1866 Winchester rifles and carbines against the Russian hoards with their single shot Krnka conversion muskets trying to swarm the ramparts.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:32:34 AM »
Were those 50,000 their own serial series or were they part of the American total produced?

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »
I wouldn’t think so, they sold 6000 to the French and 45000 to the Turkish but sold very few elsewhere. The US wasn’t interested in them.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
Hmmmm...It looks like Navy Arms made their own Henries until about 1985, then Uberti made them.  I guess Shimek was writing about a Navy Arms made Henry back then, just like the one I am getting.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 01:11:00 AM »
Uberti' s were earlier than that
Forgett's Navy Arms was out of his NJ produced Guns before 1982 ....

If memory serves the last of the 1000,  22" so call carbines, is all NA's had in 1981 and sold out that year.
He was sold out of both 1000, 24" 44/40 and some 50,  44 RF's,  when I ordered & received my 22"er in 44/40 in March of 81.

No carbines were produced in 44RF just 44/40.  I paid $385 for mine which included shipping and a 10% FFL reciever fee in March 1981.

Val Forgett turned Henry production over to Uberti I think in 79  and Guns were being produced and NA was selling them by late 81.

If you look closely you can see it slung over my shoulder in this photo taken in 1981.
This was my 22" NJ USA carbine with added swivel & staple ( original Henry parts from Dixie Gun Works) by me .

Frank Allen, Allen Arm's of Santa Fa. ( partenered and larter bought out by Mike Harvey ) had Uberti Henry's in 1981.

and my Allen Arms/Uberti  purchased in Nov. 1982 which I sold in 88 , bought back (from that OP) in 2008, sold again to a friend guy that put me off , failing to fully pay for it , and it came home again !
By then, I had these.... I think the Allen has found it's home finally with a Civil War Reenactor who paid in full....

I have a thing about Henry's it seems  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »
Uberti' s were earlier than that
Forgett's Navy Arms was out of his NJ produced Guns before 1982 ....

If memory serves the last of the 1000,  22" so call carbines, is all NA's had in 1981 and sold out that year.
He was sold out of both 1000, 24" 44/40 and some 50,  44 RF's,  when I ordered & received my 22"er in 44/40 in March of 81.

No carbines were produced in 44RF just 44/40.  I paid $385 for mine which included shipping and a 10% FFL reciever fee in March 1981.

Val Forgett turned Henry production over to Uberti I think in 79  and Guns were being produced and NA was selling them by late 81.

If you look closely you can see it slung over my shoulder in this photo taken in 1981.

Did you ever shoot the 44RF. Expensive but I would have found it hard to resist— at least a few rounds.
This was my 22" NJ USA carbine with added swivel & staple ( original Henry parts from Dixie Gun Works) by me .

Frank Allen, Allen Arm's of Santa Fa. ( partenered and larter bought out by Mike Harvey ) had Uberti Henry's in 1981.

and my Allen Arms/Uberti  purchased in Nov. 1982 which I sold in 88 , bought back (from that OP) in 2008, sold again to a friend guy that put me off , failing to fully pay for it , and it came home again !
By then, I had these.... I think the Allen has found it's home finally with a Civil War Reenactor who paid in full....

I have a thing about Henry's it seems  :)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 06:32:50 PM »
Years ago (around 1983 or so), long before I got into Cowboy Action shooting (1994), a gun writer named Robert Shimek did an article on the 1860 .44 Henry, and the Uberti/Navy Arms version of it.  All he had for ammo was Winchester 200 grain Jacketed flat point hunting ammo. It clocked from his Henry replica at about 1130 fps, IIRC.  He mentioned it was appropriate, as the 44 Henry pushed a 200 flat point lead bullet ta about 1120 fps.  He commented that hunters still take deer every year with the factory 44-40 loads, even in the reduced loading.

He attributed the low velocity of the modern loading to the fact that the modern smokeless round was downloaded in case the rounds were used in an iron framed 1873 Winchester or 1889 Marlin.  He also stated that original 44-40 rounds, loaded in balloon head cases with 40 grains of FFFG gave about 1340 fps.  I know from subsequent articles by other authors and my own experiments that the only way to get those velocities from black powder in a solid head 44-40 case that holds about 37 grains is to use Pyrodex P.

Have never shot Pyrodex - never gonna!
Uberti model 66, 44/40, 24 inch barrel - fireformed Remington brass- RCBS 205 grain boolit- 40 grains of FFFG BLACKPOWDER = 1355fps (RCBS chrony)   39 grains got 1339FPS
40 grains is a heavy compression load - extreme spread was 31FPS - most smokeless loads no better than that.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »
Bought my Navy Arms M1860 Military Henry , cal. .44-40, about 25+ years ago when I got into Cowboy Action Shooting.  Great shooter, however, the long barrel with the integrally-cast magazine tube has become a bit muzzle-heavy for my back, and I have resorted to Rossi '92's with 20" barrels.  :( 
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 02:44:21 PM »
Coming in late to this.  My dad was Korean War Vet and LOVED the M-1 Carbine.  He thought Carbine Williams quite the fellow and we watched the movie when ever it was on.  (He also was a big fan of Audie Murphy, Dad said, nope he can't act, but he deserves to be watched, so watch we did)   
My former roommate was getting his Ph.D in Chemistry in early 90s.  He and I both loved Henry Rifles.   He decided his gift to himself was going to be a Henry.   His research advisor stepped in and ordered it.  Problem was the Brady Bill, due to the ability to chamber 11, called it an assault rifle and his sat in customs for 8.5 months.   Finally he spoke to a guy there.  Guy went and opened the box and got back on the phone and said "Only person who thought this was an assault weapon was R.E. Lee.   I will get this to you soon."   Week later he had it.   Took me another 8 years before I scraped enough to get mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com