Author Topic: Bolo knife scabbard repair  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Bolo knife scabbard repair
« on: July 21, 2018, 10:23:58 PM »
Troopers, what would be the best way to glue my bolo scabbard wood / brass insert back into it’s original Brauer Bros 1918 leather / canvas cover? I don’t want the glue to bleed through the canvas. The wood insert wants to pull out along with my bolo-bowie. Or is there any way to reduce the tension on the spring clips in the liner?
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Bolo knife scabbard repair
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »
Contact cement or something like that so it doesn't need through? For the spring tension fix, it would seem like a file would be called for
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:05:25 AM »
Was it glued originally, or did the maker rely on the friction fit between the liner and cover?  I don't know, I've never disassembled a scabbard of that vintage.

If you must glue it (if it was originally glued) use hide glue.  (Actually, for a job like this you probably want fish glue, with vinegar added to the water the glue granules are dissolved in.)  Between the fish glue and the added vinegar, you get a bond that is more resistant to heat and humidity (and occasional rain etc).  If you can't find fish glue granules, go to the grocery store and get Knox brand pure gelatin.  Pain in the tucchus to work with the first few times, but you can cheat to make it a little easier. 

Clean the surfaces to be glued.  Have your glue heated to the namufacturer's recommended temp (use a double boiler setup if you don't have a glue pot).  "Size" the wood and canvas surfaces (apply a very thin coat of thinned glue and let dry). Then assemble the scabbard and apply heat (I usually use an iron, with a folded hand towel in between) to the area to be bonded.  The heat will soften the glue; when it cools it will be glued together. 

Should you ever need to disassemble the scabbard for repairs or restoration, the process can be reversed.  Contact cement etc are permanent (yay!) but often have long-term negative effects.
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:45:05 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 09:26:51 AM »
The originals are friction-fit.

Put it on and wet it - then put it in the sun and it'll snug up.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 09:43:13 PM »
St George, appears that you win the kewpie doll. Soaked the leather and canvas cover and put the liner in, had to wack the insert some to get it all the way. Put it under a desk lamp, flipped it occasionally for a day and sure enough it’s tight. Thanks.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com