Author Topic: New Winchester 1873 Error?  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Indy Joe

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Winchester 1873 Error?
« on: July 18, 2018, 05:48:09 PM »
I purchased a new Winchester brand 1873 24" sporter, 44-40, back in May of 2018.  I was planning to take it out and shoot it for the first time over the next few days.  I was doing a safety check and general inspection today when I discovered a manufacturing error.  I had removed the side plates to check the links and found that a second Carrier Lever Spring had been installed where the Finger Lever Spring should be.  It does fit and the action functions OK, but it looks weird.  I sent Winchester an email about this, including a picture, but it's too soon to hear back yet.  I was surprised to find such an error and more surprised that it actually works.

I've had a lot of bad luck with new cowboy guns over the last few years.  Maybe someone out there has a rifle with two Finger Lever Springs and no true Carrier Lever Spring.  We could get together and swap parts.

I asked Winchester in my email if they were trying to save money by using one type of spring.  I'm afraid they won't send me a replacement spring and will try and make me ship the rifle back or take it to an authorized service center.  If I figure out how to insert and image I'll post a picture.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: New Winchester 1873 Error?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 07:38:02 PM »
Yeah, strange!  Does the flat side of that spring still ride on the lever cam?

Offline Indy Joe

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »
Yes it does. It works properly.  The action is just stiff, like all new 1873s.  Those springs are just too strong without modification or replacement.

I also found a picture on the internet of a new Winchester made 1873 with the side plate off and it looks the same as mine.  I have not heard from Winchester yet, but this spring set may be correct for the new rifles.  It is possible that in the new Winchesters, they use the same part number spring on both sides now.  I think the new profile of their Carrier Lever may allow for the same spring to be used on both sides.  Hope to hear from Winchester tomorrow.  

If anybody else here has one of the new Winchester 1873s, please chime in if you found the same thing with your rifle or something different.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:32:46 PM »

Offline Indy Joe

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 01:44:26 AM »
Found more pictures and info on various forum sites that this spring setup is normal for a modern Miroku Winchester 1873.  Other owners of these Miroku 1873 rifles were also concerned the first time they opened them up to see the action.  I'll post a confirmation when Winchester responds tomorrow.

I'll never stop wanting to learn more about the design, history, and care of firearms. ;)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 05:37:09 AM »
Check the excellent video OD3 posted on his  Miroku Winchester 1873

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,55130.0.html
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 09:14:16 AM »

Velly Interestink (Stolen famous TV show line).  I haven't paid much attention to the Miroku '73 since I retired some years ago.  However, seeing the picture of the action parts, there is no reason NOT to do it that way.  Fit and function are the most important things.

Normally, the springs are set up so the "flat" runs very close to the side plates, to insure the springs stay where they belong.  In this case, the flat runs next to the Carrier Block Arm and the "hook" runs next to the side plate.  No reason why it shouldn't work.  Also pretty obvious Miroku also decided to use Truck springs.  I'd be guessing way too heavy.

Still, curious what Winchester says.  Other than reducing the spring a mite, I'd not worry about it.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »
Well I never paid much attention to the internal pics of the new '73's either.  But regarding the stiffness, several new unmolested Miroku '73's that I have handled had much lighter springs than Uberti.

Offline Indy Joe

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »
Received an email today from Winchester (actually from the Browning Service Department).  This spring configuration is the way they're made at the Miroku factory.  The same spring part is used on both sides.  Depending on the side it's used on, they just refer to it by carrier or by finger. So, the mystery is solved. :)

Mine functions fine (a little stiff because it's new), but not as stiff as my Cimarron 1873 was back when it was new. ;)

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 10:11:51 PM »
Sorry I was late to this post; I could have saved you an email to Winchester.  Yes, Miroku uses the same spring for both sides.  Works fine and, yes, the springs are lighter than Uberti factory springs, though they can also benefit from a little lightening.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com