Author Topic: My Spencer carbine, looking for info  (Read 2633 times)

Offline mpdphil

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My Spencer carbine, looking for info
« on: March 24, 2018, 01:56:08 AM »
I just picked up my first Spencer. It was advertised as an 1865 and has a 6 groove 20 inch barrel. It is not a burnside contract and has both a stabler cut off as well as the Spencer swivel cutoff on the cartridge feed lever. The serial number is 8692. Is it possible this was a wartime carbine that was upgraded after the war?
Thanks all!
Phil

Offline Walksfire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: My Spencer carbine, looking for info
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 02:26:16 PM »
Very interesting grouping of parts. It is definitely a later looking M1865 model Spencer. I would be willing to guess that it is a 56-50 bullet version. Have you looked under the front forestock wood and confirmed the barrel matches the serial number on the receiver. I would have guessed that this was a 3 groove version, but anything is possible. First time I have seen that top piece Spencer cutoff. Not sure why you would want both the Stabler and a Spencer Cutoff on the same carbine. It is a puzzle.

Offline mpdphil

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 02:56:28 PM »
I have checked under the handguard and the serial number does indeed match the receiver.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:18:16 PM »

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 03:52:37 PM »
has the upper breach block been cut for the Spencer cut off(a milled groove in breach block that supports cut off when it is being pot to single load)

Offline mpdphil

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »
The caliber is 56-50. The top of the breech block is indeed wider to accommodate the Spencer cut-off. I looked up the serial number on SRS, but most of the 4 digit SN's are rifles. Is it possible that this started out life as a rifle, or did Spencer actually produce M1865's post war? I was under the impression that all Spencer M1865 carbines were refurbished M1860 rifles and carbines. Thank you all!

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »
The carbine is a 1865 model,I can not explain the Spencer cut off being fitted(possible trials carbine)

Offline mpdphil

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »
Any guess as to the date of manufacture for this one? I'm guessing that Spencer started back at SN 1 for the M1865 carbines. Here are a couple pics showing the spring assisted extractor, 6 groove bore, and the large cutout for the Spencer cut off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com