Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 20, 2018, 08:39:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gunsmithing  |  Topic: Jager Dakota 1873 in 357 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jager Dakota 1873 in 357  (Read 343 times)
Rogmatt
Citizen

« on: February 05, 2018, 10:25:18 pm »

I have an Italian Jager Dakota in 357. The loading gate will not open. Any ideas? It has been so long since I have had it apart, I have no idea how it happened.Thanks for any help.

Fingers McGee
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

Smoke & Fire

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 11:35:25 pm »

Take the cylinder out & loosen the screw on the recoil shield under the gate.  You may have to remove the screw & spray some PB Blaster or WD40 in the hole to free it up.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - LTG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozarks Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce
Sagebrush Burns
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 12:03:07 am »

Take the cylinder out & loosen the screw on the recoil shield under the gate.  You may have to remove the screw & spray some PB Blaster or WD40 in the hole to free it up.

I think your basic idea is on track, but it will be a good trick to get the cylinder out without being able to open the loading gate.
Pettifogger
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 02:51:10 am »

Remove the backstrap and triggerguard and there is a screw under the gate area.  That has a spring and plunger under it.  Loosen the screw and you lower the tension on the gate.  If you loosen it and it is still stuck remove the screw, spring and plunger and squirt oil in the hole and let it work in for a while.  Then it is a matter of working the gate until it breaks free.
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:46:49 am »

PLUS ONE to Pettifogger.

Quote the Dragon ....... Rust and Corrosion NEVER SLEEP  Shocked
Rogmatt
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 05:25:04 pm »

Thanks will do and report back.
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:21:02 pm »

Hmm, I answered this one same as Pettifogger when there were no replies yet, guess it didn't go through.  So I will have to say +3  Smiley

If it was an opentop/conversion type gun then Fingers' answer might be correct.

Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 08:59:55 pm »

Naw.  Big Freeking Hammer anna Chizel.    Roll Eyes WHACK!!  It'll open ... you betcha   Cool 
LongWalker
Active citizen

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 10:25:37 pm »

Last one I had like that, I removed the grips and tossed it in the solvent recovery tank of the parts washer.  A couple days in a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF will soak right through the rust. 
Rogmatt
Citizen

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 08:19:55 pm »

Took it apart. Sprayed lubricant in the loading gate screw/spring hole. I didn't tighten it up as much as it was. Plenty of tension on the screw from the spring so I didn't tighten all the way but just barely firm. Works great now. Thanks to all for the advice.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gunsmithing  |  Topic: Jager Dakota 1873 in 357 « previous next »
Jump to: