Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2018, 09:30:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  STORM (Moderators: RRio, Major 2)  |  Topic: Walker conversion to .44-50/200 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Walker conversion to .44-50/200  (Read 2163 times)
Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« on: February 01, 2018, 12:18:49 pm »

Just finished converting my ASM Walker repro to cartridges. It will shoot .44 Colt (HB,) but it's made for .44-50/200 Walker, a wildcat based on .445 Supermag. Just need to get the brass and dies- in the meantime I can fire .44 Colt, which are shown with the gun. The second photo has a Richards-Mason conversion for comparison.

I still need to add a front sight, and I believe I am going to screw the breech-plate to the breech. I will be shooting primarily smokeless out of this as I am mostly restricted to indoor ranges at the moment. I'll start conservative but one I can load the new rounds I hope to drive a 200gr. bullet from the gun's 3-1/2" barrel at 1150+fps., good for around 600 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Of course when outdoor shooting season arrives I need to load the Holy Black- if for no other reason than to get a photo of this thing going off!
RebHolister
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:00:31 pm »

nice.
Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:46:24 pm »

Shoots pretty good- this is at five yards with no sights yet...
Four Eyes Henry
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 02:25:58 am »

LOVE that target.....  Grin

DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1
Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 06:25:47 pm »

So here's the finished gun with ammo. The cartridges are made from .303 British cut to 1-11/16" then resized to accept the .452 heel-base bullet. Loaded on top of 10 gr. of Trail Boss with a large pistol primer. These loads sound supersonic to my ear, but that's just a guess since I don't have a chronograph. Recoil isn't bad; the 3-1/2lb. gun soaks up a lot of it.  Muzzle blast is loud, but the muzzle-flash is smaller than you might expect.

Yes, I mean to load the Holy Black, but that has to wait for outdoor shooting weather; indoor ranges don't like it when you lay down a smokescreen. I also want to photograph the BP muzzle-blast in low light- it should be EPIC! Now I need to mount a front sight and see how it groups.
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:42:38 pm »

Oh .... but I do so LIKE THAT GUN!!   Grin
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 10:18:55 pm »

Oh .... but I do so LIKE THAT GUN!!   Grin

How did we guess?Huh Ya musta bin born wid a hacksaw in ya hands
I like the look a them boolits tho.
Fox Creek Kid
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 10:12:46 am »

So here's the finished gun with ammo. The cartridges are made from .303 British cut to 1-11/16" then resized to accept the .452 heel-base bullet. Loaded on top of 10 gr. of Trail Boss with a large pistol primer...

Please tell me that you're not shooting smokeless in the original ASM cylinder.  Shocked
Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 01:42:17 pm »

Please tell me that you're not shooting smokeless in the original ASM cylinder.  Shocked

I am- mind you I chose Trail Boss because it does well in BP cartridges and I did a lot of investigation before doing so. I have decades of experience with metallurgy and metalworking. I was pretty certain it would be fine before I touched off the first round.
Fox Creek Kid
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 08:50:00 pm »

I am- mind you I chose Trail Boss because it does well in BP cartridges and I did a lot of investigation before doing so. I have decades of experience with metallurgy and metalworking. I was pretty certain it would be fine before I touched off the first round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrpmv_zOa0k
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 09:02:44 pm »

"Here's to swimmin with bow legged women."

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 02:22:03 pm »

if anyone is interested more details here- tinkertalksguns.wordpress.com/2018/02/13/the-walker-and-ammunition-completed/
Professor Marvel
purveyor of useless items to the gentry
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

life is too short to waste on stupid

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 10:44:17 pm »

Excellent job my Good Tinker!

yhs
prof marvel

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Tornado
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 08:41:29 am »

Nice build and write up Tinker.  I still wish you would replace the cylinder with a Kirst though Smiley .
Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 11:19:00 am »

Nice build and write up Tinker.  I still wish you would replace the cylinder with a Kirst though Smiley .

There is no doubt that a Kirst cylinder would be better quality and likely safer, but it would have been vastly less challenging than doing the work myself and developing my own cartridge. Eventually I want to have a go at making a cylinder out of heat-treated 4140, either for this or other projects, but that's a ways off yet.
Professor Marvel
purveyor of useless items to the gentry
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

life is too short to waste on stupid

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 07:33:53 pm »

My Dear Tinker -

keep an eye on fleabay - I periodically find cutoffs I cannot resist!. A few weeks ago  months ago  last september ( omg that long? )  I snagged some 1144 Stressproof Steel 2" X 5 3/8"   and 4140 Steel Heat Treated To 27-33 Rockwell 2" X 3 3/8" for a pittance...  with the intent of making some cylinders.... someday ....

yhs
prof marvel

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 10:46:13 pm »

My Dear Tinker -

keep an eye on fleabay - I periodically find cutoffs I cannot resist!. A few weeks ago  months ago  last september ( omg that long? )  I snagged some 1144 Stressproof Steel 2" X 5 3/8"   and 4140 Steel Heat Treated To 27-33 Rockwell 2" X 3 3/8" for a pittance...  with the intent of making some cylinders.... someday ....

yhs
prof marvel

I do forget about eBay.... recently spotted their selection of rifling buttons. I have plans, oh yes I do...
G Bulldog Grainisland III
Active citizen

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 06:23:30 am »

What a beautiful monster! Sir, I salute you!

-Bulldog
dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 03:12:42 pm »

Very nice work . Could you show a pic. of the bullet /heel ? And are the loads shown already fire formed ? ,,,DT
Tinker Pearce
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 01:11:02 am »

Very nice work . Could you show a pic. of the bullet /heel ? And are the loads shown already fire formed ? ,,,DT

Here's one of my swaged heel-base bullets- this is the RNFP, but it's pretty much like the SWC-

The loads shown are not yet fire-formed. I'll get some pics after the next range session.
dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 07:30:42 am »

Thanks Tinker , looks like plenty of heel base . Great project like it a lot .,,DT
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  STORM (Moderators: RRio, Major 2)  |  Topic: Walker conversion to .44-50/200 « previous next »
Jump to: