Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 24, 2018, 05:19:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Darksider's Den (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Major 2, Capt Quirk)  |  Topic: Black Powder Cartridges in Conversion cylinder 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Powder Cartridges in Conversion cylinder  (Read 377 times)
Tex Brushpopper
Citizen

« on: January 24, 2018, 02:53:38 pm »

I have a Rogers&Spencer replica with a .45 colt conversion cylinder. Cowboy smokeless loads work great; the advice I got was to keep the pressure below 12,500 psi. That is what I do.
So, I get the idea to maybe fire some black powder cartridges with a 35gr/255gr (Starline brass, CCI primers) load through this gun.
My question is, is this load below 12,500 psi? There doesn't seem to be much pressure data out there...
Drydock
MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 03:04:07 pm »

Yes,  you're fine.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .
Dick Dastardly
Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 03:34:51 pm »

My Ruger Old Armies with Kirst Konverter cylinders can easily handle full house 45 Colt loads, but I only shoot black powder cartridges from them.  Why?  Because if I wanted a full house 45 Colt, I'd buy Ruger Vaqueros.  Your guns should be safe and fun to shoot with the black powder loads you mentioned.  Forget the heathen fad smokeyless stuff.

DD-MDA

Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies
reloader4410
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:53:47 am »

Schofield brass case full 2f or Goex cowboy, some conversions chamber some don't rim is a tad larger than 45 colt I just chuck up on a dowel & touch with a file until brass fits. HAPPY TRAILS>
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:32:01 pm »

I hang out at the opposite end of the spectrum.  Anointed, Card Carrying, Self Proclaimed, Dedicated, No Doubts Recoil WIMP!!  I would find 35Gr with a 255 to be just a mite stout.  I would personally think, shooting that heavy more than once "just for the fun" to be some silly.  However, that's personal.  Those that choose to shoot "bigguns" are more than welcome.  HOWEVER:

The 45Colt cartridge concept is super flexible.  Full 45Colt case, tone of gonne powder .. BOOM!!  45 Schofield case, some less propellent, lighter bullet, less BOOM.  Cowboy 45 Special case, way less propellent, itty bitty bullet,  gobs of FUN .... less Boomb.

I have several sets of Colt Pattern Cap Guns set up for conversion cylinders of .45 persuasion.  I shoot C45S cases, 150 or 160Gr projectiles and 2f in all of em.  Very pleasant to play with.  Although I still have some 45 Barnstormers carefully husbanded.  130Gr, hollow base wad cutters.  Really FUN!!  NO!!  I won't share the Barnstormers.  Nowhere to get more (sniff sniff).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Darksider's Den (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Major 2, Capt Quirk)  |  Topic: Black Powder Cartridges in Conversion cylinder « previous next »
Jump to: