Author Topic: Ease of disassembly/reassembly  (Read 3323 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Ease of disassembly/reassembly
« on: January 22, 2018, 09:02:12 PM »
Which rifle would be the easiest to disassemble/reassemble for cleaning if you're shooting black powder? Does it make a difference if it's the carbine or sporting version?
Uberti-Winchester Model 1873 .44-40
Miroku-Winchester Model 1873 .44-40
Uberti-Burgess .44-40
Pedersoli Lightning .44-40

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Ease of disassembly/reassembly
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:33:29 PM »
Either '73.  Carbine/rifle no difference.

Offline scrubby2009

• Very Active Citizen
  • Lifelong obsession with '73's
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 07:51:55 AM »
Also keep in mind that traditional calibers ( 44WCF and 38WCF ) are very clean. Accumulation of powder or contaminants is minimal due to the tapered chamber/shell design.
Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:04:21 AM »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
Thanks!

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:35:32 PM »
+++ what Scrubby said - if you go with a 44/40 you wont need to pull it all apart to clean

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 04:48:12 AM »
Not on your list but I find the Marlin 1894 the most user friendly to pull bolt and clean from chamber end.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
PILEING ON ...... PILEING ON ...... PILEING ON   :o

PLUS ONE to ABILENE.  Easiest to take apart and reassemble is the '73. 

The Marlin isn't bad. 

Rest of the list and those not listed Suck.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
PILEING ON ...... PILEING ON ...... PILEING ON   :o

PLUS ONE to ABILENE.  Easiest to take apart and reassemble is the '73. 

The Marlin isn't bad. 

Rest of the list and those not listed Suck.

Hey Coffinmaker
(pleased ta see ya still hangin about - ya been kinda quiet)
Have had my 66 'berti  20 odd years  - had to pull it down when I got it and do some alteration to the lifter ta get it ta feed properly - dont remember zakly what but I had an old slick 73 here ta copy off - n - a dremel tool - anyways thats the once an only time I stripped that gun down - have had the side plates off a couple times since - just checkin ta see if anything had fell off - sure it dont get shot much - but musta had four or five thousand thru it by now - all full house blackpowder 44/40 of course - cleaning a blackpowder toggle gun is about the easiest deal around I reckon - I made a cradle / rest thingy - they sit upside down in that with a slope down to the muzzle also got a coke bottle fitted with a spout and a bore size soft plastic tube - put tube in chamber pour some water down - couple strokes with a brass brush - bit more water - couple more with the brush - might do that three times - if the water dont flush anything out shes clean - then I shove a couple dry flannel patches in the action and dry her out with the rod n a a jag patch - then oil - -- I am real careful that no way water can get in the magazine tube - but the whole thing is simple easy and quick - I only ever use cold water  - lots of blokes think I am mad but I do not like what hot water does to my guns - it lifts any protective oil off the metal and initiates rust almost instantly -- but then I got an aircompressor to dry things out with - some fellers dont have that and rely on the heat - whatever floats yr boat I guess. ----ah almost fergot - a tapered brass muzzle protector on any hard rod - ALWAYS - ----thats why i dont like the idea of a bore snake - impossible ta pull that thing through without wearin the muzzle (unless they changed since I was a boy - maybe they got muzzle protectors on em now? ) seen many boogered 303 service rifles from cleanin wid a pullthrough - gun is good - riflin is good all the way up till about two inches down then its a smoothbore at the end.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com