Author Topic: Trail Hands buying new clothes  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Trail Hands buying new clothes
« on: January 20, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
Gentlemen,
          I've always read that trail hands would buy all new clothes when they hit the cow towns, primarily because they wanted to impress the girls, each other, etc.  My personal theory is the primary reason they bought all new clothes was because after wearing them twenty four hours a day for three months, in all weather, they were probably rotting away by the time they got there.  My guess is they probably burned their old ones shortly after they bought new ones.  What do you folks think?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: Trail Hands buying new clothes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 04:57:19 PM »
What about a profession that has all but disappeared nowadays:

Ragpicker

RCJ ;)
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 06:29:25 PM »
Could be, but I doubt even most rag pickers would have wanted those clothes!  They had to smell pretty bad by that point.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:25:22 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:11:31 PM »
I wrote on this some time back - think years...

The cowhand had 'maybe' two shirts, one pair of trousers, his boots, hat and his saddle.

After river crossings, rain, wind, blistering sun and dust storms, the elements took their toll.

He'd buy a bath, haircut and shave, new clothes (whatever was on the shelf) and quite often, new boots.

If he had more money, some 'paid for' fun, and 'maybe' a new saddle - he needed little else.

Most went back home if they didn't stay around town and most went back pretty broke to do it all over again.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:03:58 AM »
I wrote on this some time back - think years...

The cowhand had 'maybe' two shirts, one pair of trousers, his boots, hat and his saddle.

After river crossings, rain, wind, blistering sun and dust storms, the elements took their toll.

He'd buy a bath, haircut and shave, new clothes (whatever was on the shelf) and quite often, new boots.

If he had more money, some 'paid for' fun, and 'maybe' a new saddle - he needed little else.

Most went back home if they didn't stay around town and most went back pretty broke to do it all over again.

Scouts Out!

I've been told that this is where the term "hand-me downs" originated:  'hand me down" whatever was on the shelf.

It's also why gents would not wear anything with creases, a sure sign that he bought something off the shelf and couldn't afford the price or time for "made to order" clothing.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
Could be, but I doubt even most rag pickers would have wanted those clothes!  They had to smell pretty bad by that point.
There has always been poor people that would be happy to get anything.  A little lye soap and the ragpickers would be smiling.
Scouts Out!

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 07:59:38 AM »
Reminds me of the scene in "The Outlaw Josey Wales" when the old grandma has to put on the clothing of one of the Commancheros they  just killed--"It smells like a family of hogs have lived in these clothes". I think I got that quote pretty close.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com