Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 08:48:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Spencer Shooting Society (Moderator: Two Flints)  |  Topic: Henry Vs Spencer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Henry Vs Spencer  (Read 1783 times)
treebeard
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 02:11:15 pm »

Question for LongWalker and any others who may have shot original rimfire Henry’s is there any reason the Henry could not be shot single after the magazine was emptied?
Drydock
MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 02:25:09 pm »

No reason at all.  But it's a slower, more finicky process than it is to thumb a cartridge into the Spencer breach.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .
LongWalker
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 09:21:25 pm »

Single-loading a Henry is a pain in the posterior.  Single-loading a Henry in a hurry is an invitation to a smashed fingertip (I still think my finger was clear!).  I can single-load a Spencer about as fast as loading a Sharp's carbine. 

I actually won a match once doing that: I shot a converted Spencer carbine borrowed from a friend in a 20 round timed match.  After shooting the magazine empty, I single-loaded the remaining shots.  I finished the day with high score and the fastest time.*  The old Spencers are the only old-school lever guns I shoot well, I wish I could afford one.   

*(There were a couple of guys I think could have beat me, but I shot in the breezy morning while they shot in the calm afternoon.  By the time their magazines were empty, I don't think they could even see the backstop!

In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Spencer Shooting Society (Moderator: Two Flints)  |  Topic: Henry Vs Spencer « previous next »
Jump to: