Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2018, 10:03:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Looking for my next revolver 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for my next revolver  (Read 1157 times)
Josiah “Hoss” Sirmans
Active citizen

« on: January 15, 2018, 01:30:18 pm »

I’m looking for my next revolver, as a back up when I’m hunting and target shooting. I’m already set up to reload .45lc so I wanna stick with the .45. I’ve been eyeing the 1858 and 1860 conversions, but I am also considering another SAA. Would like some opinions and insight
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:10:56 pm »

For hunting and target shooting, if historical correctness isn't a problem, how about the Ruger Blackhawk? Adjustable sights, strong as a tank.
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 02:27:10 pm »

You didn't say CAS so I'd suggest a N frame Smith. Accurate, a true classic, should fit in the holsters you already own. Definitely deer or bear medicine.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 02:41:45 pm »

But he did say SAA   Wink .... look at the Stainless Cimarron Firearms Model P
Josiah “Hoss” Sirmans
Active citizen

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 06:22:43 pm »

I’m wanting to stick with the old west style guns, just in case I can find a cas group close by
Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 08:09:08 pm »

S&W No. 3 in 45 Colt.
https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/model-no-3-schofield-45-lc-7-in.html

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!
Trooper Ozzy
Citizen

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 10:41:24 am »

These all take the same 200 gr bullet.  Use 45 cowboy special, 45 colt, 45 acp
Rossi 92  rifle also runs the 45 colt.
The Rem 58's have the Taylor conversions in them.
Shoot mostly black in the Rems and Rugers, Unique in the 1911.

* IMG_20170820_123857 (1).jpg (366.39 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 64 times.)
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 11:03:29 am »

I don't consider a saa a target or hunting gun. Just to have a firearm with you it certainly would be fine. The op said considering a saa which is why I suggested the N frame. But if you want a nice saa pick up a Ruger vaquero. I've got four in s/s .45 cal. You can shoot full power loads without problems. Unless you have small hands stay away from the new model smaller framed guns. I bought one for my daughter in law and can't stand to shoot it because it raps my knuckles so much. Good hunting.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:18:42 pm »

Well ......... Gee ..........

When you talk about a "Carry Gun" for traipsing (skulking??) around inna woods and such and target shooting, size and weight leap right up into the picture (photo bomb??).  In keeping with the request for an Old West Style gun, I would have to rule out the 58 and the '60 as neither one are really strong enough for ammunition suitable for hunting (regularly shot that way).  When you include a carry gun for target, we would mostly be considering informal can rolling and plinking.  Ergo:

My recommendation would be for either an original Ruger Vaquero or Ruger Blackhawk, both in Stainless, and only after having throated the chambers.  For myself, Rugers' 3 1/2 inch barrels are my thing.  Others would probably prefer 4 5/8s.

I also don't think most of the SAA reproductions are strong enough for a diet of 45 Colt hunting ammunition.  Emer my thoughts.
Galloway
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 06:15:34 pm »

''I don't consider a saa a target or hunting gun.''

I hear that and said the same thing for years until i started counting hits. With either style sights I find I tend to hit the close shots and miss the far ones with no advantage to either. You may consider it as the gun and shooters effective range, which is pretty short to make consistent hits. Kentucky windage does indeed work at shorter ranges, and most cant hit anything at long range even with target sights. Remember they had target sights on the frontier and fixed sights outsold them 10-1. Hair dryers got no sights at all because their used within their effective range. Remember that when confronted with the indisputable fact that adjustable sights are better.  Wink
Sagebrush Burns
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 11:43:34 pm »

Your next revolver needs to be the real thing.  Get a Colt, you'll always be glad you did.
willy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 09:18:24 am »

For hunting,,A 45 colt loaded with 255gr. SWC at 900-1000 fps will drop anything that walks in North America..
And these loads are safe in any smokeless SAA. And unless you are shooting different loads in the same gun,,Fixed sights are fine once you get them tweeked to hit poi...I like a 7  1/2 SAA because it stays in the holster better without a safety strap.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Looking for my next revolver « previous next »
Jump to: