Author Topic: Looking for my next revolver  (Read 3668 times)

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Looking for my next revolver
« on: January 15, 2018, 12:30:18 PM »
I’m looking for my next revolver, as a back up when I’m hunting and target shooting. I’m already set up to reload .45lc so I wanna stick with the .45. I’ve been eyeing the 1858 and 1860 conversions, but I am also considering another SAA. Would like some opinions and insight

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Looking for my next revolver
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »
For hunting and target shooting, if historical correctness isn't a problem, how about the Ruger Blackhawk? Adjustable sights, strong as a tank.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »
You didn't say CAS so I'd suggest a N frame Smith. Accurate, a true classic, should fit in the holsters you already own. Definitely deer or bear medicine.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:18:27 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »
But he did say SAA   ;) .... look at the Stainless Cimarron Firearms Model P
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 05:22:43 PM »
I’m wanting to stick with the old west style guns, just in case I can find a cas group close by

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Trooper Ozzy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
These all take the same 200 gr bullet.  Use 45 cowboy special, 45 colt, 45 acp
Rossi 92  rifle also runs the 45 colt.
The Rem 58's have the Taylor conversions in them.
Shoot mostly black in the Rems and Rugers, Unique in the 1911.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »
I don't consider a saa a target or hunting gun. Just to have a firearm with you it certainly would be fine. The op said considering a saa which is why I suggested the N frame. But if you want a nice saa pick up a Ruger vaquero. I've got four in s/s .45 cal. You can shoot full power loads without problems. Unless you have small hands stay away from the new model smaller framed guns. I bought one for my daughter in law and can't stand to shoot it because it raps my knuckles so much. Good hunting.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
Well ......... Gee ..........

When you talk about a "Carry Gun" for traipsing (skulking??) around inna woods and such and target shooting, size and weight leap right up into the picture (photo bomb??).  In keeping with the request for an Old West Style gun, I would have to rule out the 58 and the '60 as neither one are really strong enough for ammunition suitable for hunting (regularly shot that way).  When you include a carry gun for target, we would mostly be considering informal can rolling and plinking.  Ergo:

My recommendation would be for either an original Ruger Vaquero or Ruger Blackhawk, both in Stainless, and only after having throated the chambers.  For myself, Rugers' 3 1/2 inch barrels are my thing.  Others would probably prefer 4 5/8s.

I also don't think most of the SAA reproductions are strong enough for a diet of 45 Colt hunting ammunition.  Emer my thoughts.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 05:15:34 PM »
''I don't consider a saa a target or hunting gun.''

I hear that and said the same thing for years until i started counting hits. With either style sights I find I tend to hit the close shots and miss the far ones with no advantage to either. You may consider it as the gun and shooters effective range, which is pretty short to make consistent hits. Kentucky windage does indeed work at shorter ranges, and most cant hit anything at long range even with target sights. Remember they had target sights on the frontier and fixed sights outsold them 10-1. Hair dryers got no sights at all because their used within their effective range. Remember that when confronted with the indisputable fact that adjustable sights are better.  ;)

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 10:43:34 PM »
Your next revolver needs to be the real thing.  Get a Colt, you'll always be glad you did.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 08:18:24 AM »
For hunting,,A 45 colt loaded with 255gr. SWC at 900-1000 fps will drop anything that walks in North America..
And these loads are safe in any smokeless SAA. And unless you are shooting different loads in the same gun,,Fixed sights are fine once you get them tweeked to hit poi...I like a 7  1/2 SAA because it stays in the holster better without a safety strap.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com