Author Topic: looking for wood/parts for an old/cheap SXS  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Irish Walt

• Irish Walt
  • Citizen
  • SASS #: 113922
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
looking for wood/parts for an old/cheap SXS
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »
A few years ago, I bought a "wall-hanger" SXS from a friend for $20.  It's an old "W. Richards."  Apparently, back in the day, there was a premium line of shotguns made by "Westley Richards", and this was a play on that name in hopes of (I assume...) duping someone into buying something they thought was something else.

Anyway, though I'll never shoot it, I would like to at least make it whole.  At a minimum, I need a buttstock and trigger guard.

Here's what it should look like:

As a matter of fact, if anyone has a source for these parts, I could use 2 sets of stocks & trigger guards; a friend of mine has an identical shotgun with the same problems.  I was told that these were a common, "crescent" pattern, but I'm not entirely sure what that even means.

-WRM

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: looking for wood/parts for an old/cheap SXS
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »
The Crescant arms company made shotguns stamped with other names as did H D Folsom Arms that used W Richards mark. Dozens of names were used and various grade were made, all are of modest quality. I've rebuilt a few and wood has mostly been a block of walnut and a lot of work. The trigger guard can be adapted from muzzle loader shot gun type. Depending on your skill level and how much work you want to spend on it. Try a search for similar inlet shot gun stocks on the net, one company in Mo. may help you but I can't think of their name.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
https://www.macongunstocks.com/

As your buttstock is reasonably intact, they can duplicate it.  THough they may already have that pattern.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:16:00 PM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »
Drydock, that's the name! I've used them and at present have a stock for an Ithica and a LCSmith from them. Easy people to work with so phone them and see what they can do.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
You might also cruise the auction sites, old cheap hammer doubles show up all the time.  Find yourself a parts doner, or use what you have for parts.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »
I wouldn't want to spend money on a stock for a wallhanger.  The one you have on it has a lot of "character"  :)

Dixie Gun Works may have a suitable trigger guard, they have lots of odds and ends.

Offline Irish Walt

• Irish Walt
  • Citizen
  • SASS #: 113922
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 05:59:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks; I appreciate it.  Not sure what I'll do, but I may call those places and see what they can do.  I do know that I don't want to spend a fortune on a wall-hanger.  I may buy another for parts (can find them once in a while for <$200), or I might just try whittling one out of a cheap piece of wood.

I also picked up an antique (wooden) shotgun cleaning rod set that I'd like to someday put in a shadow box with the shotgun before hanging it on the wall for the rest of its days.

-WRM

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 08:40:34 PM »
If it were me, I'd piece the original stock back together with epoxy, then sleeve the wrist of the gun with a brass sleeve, as was common in the original period of use of this gun.  Stocking one of the old doubles is a lot of work. 

The trigger guard should be a standard triggerguard as used on most of the Belgian-made cartridge guns through the start of WWI.  The trigger plate is threaded at the front (for some reason I'm thinking 1/4"x20tpi, but that can't be right).  Turn in the replacement triggerguard, then you can probably use the original screwholes in the triggerguard to attach it at the back. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 11:26:49 PM »
My first CAS shotgun was a chopped 1889 Remington double with beautiful hammers very similar to yours. I fitted a wide forearm to it and made several repairs to the butt before it got retired. Tremendous hammer springs though. I seriously looked at restocking it and even though I'd built several muzzle loaders I couldn't do this job. There's a whole lot going on where the action, tangs, locks and trigger assembly all come together. If I were you I'd build a nice shadowbox and display a decoy, duck call, some paper sg shells and a couple of period mty Remington or Winchester 12 ga boxes and leave the gun as found. I've got several ideas for firearm oriented shadowboxes myself. Good luck with yours.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 11:14:57 AM »

WRM .... You own a Boat??

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 12:24:45 PM »
Frankly, for a wall hanger I like the stock it's got, with the rawhide and leather patch.  I'd get that triggerguard I linked to, then hang it up like that.

Offline beemer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 12:12:40 AM »
You may find some advice and leads at http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php.
Cap'n Rick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com