Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 07:51:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Needle and awl 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Needle and awl  (Read 263 times)
Holsterguy
Active citizen

« on: January 01, 2018, 08:34:49 am »

Goin to do some sewing with either 3 or 4 cord thead (unwaxed linen that I wax). Could you advise the correct #awl and needle to use?
Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 06:01:48 pm »

Now you're asking me to start thinking. Grin

I use a Vergez Blanchard #43 diamond awl for most of my work.  It's the smallest available but makes a large enough hole for most applications (two or three layers of 8-9oz). For really thick leather, I have a longer awl I made which will punch through more layers of leather.

For needles, I have #4's & #2's . I don't recall exactly which size is which but I just take the smallest for the thread I'm using. Remember that you can put thread through a smaller hole than the thread diameter once it's waxed. One thing I was taught years ago was to wax the thread toward the midpoint from both ends so it lays the fibers down so the thread doesn't pull against the hole when running the thread through the leather. This also makes it easier to pull the thread through the needle eye.

I wish I could be a little more helpful. Maybe one of the pros on the forum will be able to advise you better.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 09:56:16 pm »

Good advice Will...

tEN wOLVES Grin

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Holsterguy
Active citizen

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 07:58:17 pm »

Thanks , Marshal
Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:31:44 am »

Glad to be of help. Let us know how that thread is.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 09:37:00 am »

holsterguy, if you're using the 3 cord from Campbell it is VERY weak, don't pull hard. Their five cord linen is pretty good just not as good as Barbours IMO.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Holsterguy
Active citizen

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 10:15:15 am »

Ended up ordering 4cord.  Ordered samples of 3cord from a bookbinding place in Wisconsin. They carry around 5 different 3 cord unwaxed linen thread.-12/3, 18/3, etc.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Needle and awl « previous next »
Jump to: