Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2018, 01:41:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread  (Read 581 times)
Holsterguy
Very Active Citizen

« on: December 25, 2017, 10:54:41 am »

Merry Christmas to all!
Has anyone tried the Hungarian thread from cambell? Looking at gettin some 5 cord, I'm gettin low. Also, need some 4 cord. If I'm readin the ordnance manual right, the army used 4 cord linen thread for their accoutrements. I'm wanting to make some stuff as close to original as I can.
Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 01:13:53 pm »

Merry Christmas back.

I haven't tried that thread myself. Perhaps someone here has and will reply to your question. If you do get some, please report back how it is.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Holsterguy
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 07:14:38 pm »

Guess I was imagining things. Just looked in ordnance memoranda #18 (1874) again, and can't find any reference to 4 cord thread. Thought sure I saw that somewhere. Anybody able to shed some light?
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 10:42:49 am »

Yes I've used it, ordered barbours once and they sent me that anyway.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Holsterguy
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 01:08:05 pm »

Hey Cliff, how does it comare to barbours? I've only used that and the junk tandy sells.
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 05:58:06 pm »

I like Barbours better but the other is OK. You probably have to hand sew a lot of each to be able to tell the difference and I can't really explain what the difference is, I can just tell.

Johnson County Rangers
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 06:37:31 pm »

Barbours for me also, it's the best I've found and all I use..

tEN wOLVES Grin

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Holsterguy
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 08:57:04 pm »

Talked to the guy at Campbells. Asked him what difference he saw in it, and he said that th Hungarian, the splices weren't quite as even as the Barbours. Claims it would really only affect feeding in a machine. Hand sewing, it shouldn't be noticed. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on some 4 cord. Will let you know. (Can't be any worse than those 25 yard rolls of pre-waxed from Tandy)!!
Will let you guys know.
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 01:22:41 pm »

do they not have the Barbours? that's what I noticed different on the hungarian thread, it's bumpy, doesn't wax down as smooth as the Barbours and I've been sewing along and had the thread break on me at the bumpy spots before. I personally just don't trust it as much.

I actually could have sworn someone at Campbells one time told me they thought the Hungarian thread was better for machine use.

Johnson County Rangers
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Thread « previous next »
Jump to: