Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 12:23:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  STORM (Moderators: RRio, Major 2)  |  Topic: barrel wedges 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: barrel wedges  (Read 820 times)
Navy Six
Top Active Citizen

« on: December 21, 2017, 06:53:05 pm »

I recently stumbled on some useful information--for me at least--on barrel wedges. I have an older Pietta(1996) 51 Navy that needed a new barrel wedge. This one was battered pretty good which is surprising as I never shot heavy loads in it. Anyway, I ordered a new Pietta wedge and discovered it was smaller than the original one which did me no good. Poking through my parts supply I found two used Uberti wedges for their 51 Navy. Both of the used Ubertis were larger than both Piettas wedges and after about 60 minutes of careful filing one of the used Uberti wedges fit the Pietta perfectly. I did not take any initial measurements as both Uberti wedges were used and the original Pietta wedge was too battered. I realize this is not a universal fix for battered wedges, but it might help out someone who found themselves in the same fix I was in.  Merry Christmas everyone!

Only Blackpowder Is Interesting
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 01:26:48 pm »

Navy Six,

CONGRATULATIONS!!  You have just passed "Wedgie Fitting 101."  I've lost count of the number of times I've scrounged around in my parts boxes looking for a wedge that was "too large (wide)."  I'm also wracking my widdo brain, trying to remember if I have ever has occasion to actually measure a wedge.  Nope.  Meaningless information.  I have never cared whom made the wedge so long as I could make it fit my application.  Doesn't matter.  GOOD JOB!!
45 Dragoon
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:36:02 pm »

Navy Six,
  Another option is to install a 1/4" set screw (ground flat and polished) through the end of the arbor. This gives you an adjustable front wedge bearing which will allow you to keep using your original wedge or, a wedge that will allow you to "customize" wedge placement. For instance, if you have wedge interference when holstering a particular open top, you  can adjust to allow  the wedge to be inserted further and eliminate the interference.

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks
Jubal Starbuck
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 05:50:30 am »

Thanks a heap Navy Six.  I have the same problem with an older Pietta 1860. I cut a thin brass shim which fits, but is inconvenient to keep track of when the wedge is removed and re inserted.  Tried JB Weld, but it didn't hold for me.  I will order a couple of Uberti wedges and try them.

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck
Navy Six
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 09:19:22 am »

Mike, thanks for the information about the set screw. I have read your explanation of this modification before and it makes sense. So far, I haven't worked up the guts to drill a hole through the arbor Roll Eyes!  Have too many(Huh) cap & ball guns that I shoot a lot so sooner or later I'm going to have to try this.

Only Blackpowder Is Interesting
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  STORM (Moderators: RRio, Major 2)  |  Topic: barrel wedges « previous next »
Jump to: