Author Topic: Uberti 44-40 Problem  (Read 3124 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti 44-40 Problem
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »
Tried shooting my wife's 'new' Uberti 44-40 7-1/2" revolver. My reloads (FL sized and Lee factory crimped) and both Remington and Winchester factory rds would not chamber. Now I know why it was such an unnmarked 'safe queen'.

I did some chamber polishing and now factory loads will chamber, but - there is a burr around the firing pin hole and a high edge on the back plate (recoil shield) that prevents rotation.

These can be stoned down and I can try sizing to the max on my reloads. That or order a chamber reamer from Brownells.

It never ends with Ubertis .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: Uberti 44-40 Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »
I have certainly had issues with my various 44-40's.  I have stoned burrs from the firing pin hole and the "step" on the recoil shield to make the cylinder rotate properly.  I have also had to modify my sizing die to set the shoulder back a little farther in order to get the rounds to seat deeply enough in the chambers.  My Uberti rifles also have rather tight chambers, limiting the combination of bullet size and brand of cases.  With smokeless powder, I've had to deal with bullets tending to telescope into the cases.  It all makes me wonder why that is still my favorite cartridge, but I do like it.  When all is working, anyway...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:27:11 PM »
Bright lad that I am, I removed the RCBS sizing die from my Dillon and put it in my RCBS Jr. press, screwing it down to touch the shell holder.   That cured the chambering problem. Gonna have to be a separate step from now on. Big deal.

Next I hand twirled a Dremel diamond grit bit around the burr on the firing pin hole, finishing up with a needle file. Now cases can pass by the firing pin hole freely.

Looking forward to shooting it. Did I mention that it's my wife's gun? A 7-1/2" barrel special commemorative model with some engraving and gold inlay on the frame and cylinder. She says if she likes it, there's another one in her future.

Otherwise  it's MINE!

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:22:07 AM »

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 05:05:50 AM »

Otherwise  it's MINE!

All the guns in the house belong to my wife...Every time I buy a gun, I say "Look what I bought you, Honey!"  Lightens the mood, and keeps the ruckus down, if nothing else.  ;D
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 06:49:57 AM »
Bright lad that I am, I removed the RCBS sizing die from my Dillon and put it in my RCBS Jr. press, screwing it down to touch the shell holder.   That cured the chambering problem. Gonna have to be a separate step from now on. Big deal.

Next I hand twirled a Dremel diamond grit bit around the burr on the firing pin hole, finishing up with a needle file. Now cases can pass by the firing pin hole freely.

Looking forward to shooting it. Did I mention that it's my wife's gun? A 7-1/2" barrel special commemorative model with some engraving and gold inlay on the frame and cylinder. She says if she likes it, there's another one in her future.

Otherwise  it's MINE!

It's a universal problem using 44-40 sizing dies from other brands in the Dillon press due to the configuration of the shell holder..  I have a small lathe so I chuck up the sizing die and use a grinder to take off about 1/16" off the bottom then polish.

We have 4 Uberti Smoke Wagons in 44WCF.   It was a learning curve to load for them properly.   One pair will take 430 diameter bullets just fine.  The second pair are older and have 428 throats.   Ammo loaded with 430 bullets wouldn't chamber without force.

I've found that if the loaded rounds don't fall in and out with no friction,  then I'll have problems with the cases dragging when fired and cocked.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 08:05:05 AM »
RCBS Cowboy dies and if using in the Dillon make sure they are all the way down touching. Seat and crimp in separate stage using Lee FCD.

Also to add, if using the Dillon the Lee FCD has to be modified a little to work the way it should. You have to turn off some of the lower threads and outer case so it can screw down all the way without interfering with the shell holder so as to make the collet squeeze the cartridge as it should.

I load thousands of 44-40 in my Dillon 550 each year that are used in various Uberti and original firearms.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 01:38:45 PM »
There are solutions, as pointed out.

Until I get the dies modified, I don't mind sizing as a separate operation. I've been using the LEE FC die in a separate operation already.

Lately two of my CAS pals have told me that if they were starting today, they would go with 44-40 all the way. But at the time, they all bought into the myth that loading the 44-40 is too problematic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com