Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 11:34:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The American Plainsmen Society (Moderators: Caleb Hobbs, Tsalagidave)  |  Topic: Looking for a coat pattern 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for a coat pattern  (Read 484 times)
LongWalker
Active citizen

« on: December 06, 2017, 10:55:48 pm »

One of my great-greats was a farmer, small rancher, and occasional market gunner/blacksmith/gunsmith.  In one of the pictures of him my grandmother had, he was wearing a wool-lined canvas coat.  Typical box-cut, about 3/4 length (mid-thigh).  The coat still hung in the barn when I was a kid, so I know it was split up the back far enough to comfortably ride horseback.  And w-a-r-m! 

When I was a bit older, I wore a slightly later version of the same coat when bringing in stock on cold winter days, forking hay out for the stock, etc.  The canvas cut the wind, the wool kept me warm.  Well, it's about 14 degrees F here, with gusts up to maybe 30 mph: calmer than last night, but still cold as a . . . well, it is just plain cold, and winter isn't here yet. 

I'm thinking if I can find a pattern, I'll get myself a new coat made up this winter.  Anyone know of a source?

Tascosa Joe
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:06:32 am »

Try James Country Mercantile at Liberty, MO.  Jean has lots of patterns.

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life,
1961MJS
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 12:28:13 am »

Hi

One of my daily wear winter coats is a brown wool canvas lined knee length double breasted coat from James Country Mercantile.  I've had it a few years, nice coats.

Later

Mike
GAF #797
Tsalagidave
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Dave Rodgers

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 03:34:44 pm »

If you are okay with spending some money, I know a very reputable maker in Arizona who will create a museum quality piece and he has the research to back up just about any pattern from the frontier era to the mid 20th century. 

This guy has done most of my gear and is top tier on museum quality authenticity.  It will be quality made from historically correct materials and patterns.  His name is Don Smith and I trust him so much I'd stake my reputation on his honesty.

If you are interested, please let me know.  It won't be cheap but it will be an heirloom piece that you will likely pass on to your kin.

-Dave

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.
LongWalker
Active citizen

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 09:11:16 am »

Thanks for the replies guys!  I'm looking for winter project, in hope that it will provide enough incentive to get me off my tuchhus and finish the book I've been working on for a couple-three years.   Grin 

Dave, after several attempts and wasting enough money to buy a good rifle, I don't buy custom clothes from anyone who is too far away to visit for measurement and fittings.  One of my brothers once described me as looking like someone grafted a monkey's arms onto the body of a Neanderthal.  Perforce, in more than 30 years of doing living history I've become a passable tailor. 
Tsalagidave
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Dave Rodgers

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:54:05 am »

Fair enough friend, I look forward to seeing pics of what you've come up with.

-Dave

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The American Plainsmen Society (Moderators: Caleb Hobbs, Tsalagidave)  |  Topic: Looking for a coat pattern « previous next »
Jump to: