Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2018, 07:41:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cas City Historical Society (Moderators: St. George, Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: Martin Brothers Incident 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Martin Brothers Incident  (Read 457 times)
Niederlander
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« on: December 06, 2017, 05:54:53 pm »

Gentlemen,  The other day I was helping with a vehicle check south of Alda, Nebraska.  My car was parked right next to this marker.  I knew of the incident but never knew exactly where it happened.  It's just a few miles south of the old California Trail.

* Sharps Bore 001.JPG (173.06 KB, 480x640 - viewed 81 times.)

"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"
Will Ketchum
Chief of Detectives
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Pete Ersland

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:14:00 pm »

Interesting. I really would like to know the rest of the story regarding their survival.

Will Ketchum

Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI
LongWalker
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 10:46:44 pm »

Almost 40 years ago, I spent a summer interviewing everyone I could find who had second-hand accounts of the events of the 1864 Uprising.  Since I no longer recall the details of that event (and my notes are probably disintegrating in the museum in which they were deposited), I found this, from the Nebraska State Hysterical Society:
The general Indian uprising of 1864 centering in the Platte Valley caused great loss of life and property among the early settlers. The area of one of the most dramatic events associated with this outbreak is marked with a stone monument three miles south of here. There, on a day in August, 1864, George Martin, an ex-English jockey who had come to Hall County in 1862, and his two young sons, Nat and Robert, were loading hay in a field near their homestead. Suddenly they were attacked by a small band of Sioux Indians. While the father attempted to ward off the attackers from the wagon with his repeating rifle, the boys jumped on their mare and, riding double, started for home. Pursued by the Sioux, the fleeing pony and her riders became targets for numerous arrows, one of which passed through Nat's body and lodged in Robert's back. Thus pinned together by a single arrow, the boys tumbled from their horse. The Indians, evidently believing that the boys were nearly dead, rode away without scalping them. Robert never recovered fully from his back injury, and although Nat nearly died of his wounds he lived to tell this story to his grandchildren.
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

Got whiskey, will stumble.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:17:22 am »

The arrow can be viewed in the Hastings Nebraska museum.

Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
Fox Creek Kid
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 01:28:42 am »

https://www.amazon.com/Massacre-Along-Medicine-Ronald-Becher/dp/0870043870
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cas City Historical Society (Moderators: St. George, Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: Martin Brothers Incident « previous next »
Jump to: