Author Topic: Why single (rear) sling mount?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Capt'n Jack

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why single (rear) sling mount?
« on: November 27, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
I have noticed that on many carbines there is only a single sling ring, usually at the rear.  (ignoring the saddle ring of course)  There seems to be no provision for a sling attachment to the front.  Does anyone know why?  Was there a front sling mount?  Pictures?  Thanks in advance, Capt'n Jack
Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Why single (rear) sling mount?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »
It appears that there was an alternate way to sling a carbine that consisted of a leather strap that went through the rear sling mount and looped around the right shoulder.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 05:15:11 AM »
Hello:

Suggest that you "Search" here for the thread:
Spencer Stocks Without Sling Swivels.  I found it by searching "sling swivel".
In his post, Two Flints includes a photo from Marcot that answers the question.

For your general awareness, I found it interesting that a related post declared that the mystery of one swivel would never be solved.  I guess we have to be thorough when searching.  There are too many "opinions" that are either wishful thinking or groundless imagination on many Forums.  This one is about as good as they get, but LOTS of reading may be necessary to get the whole picture.  

As one walk-on-water expert opined:  "You can find just about anything on a Spencer."

Marcot presented us with a wonderful book, but it is unreasonable to expect that it or just about any other historical arms book will be exhaustive.  The list of unanswered questions in Marcot about rifling, chambers, sporters, condemned parts useage in sporters, stamp marks, etc could fill a fine print page.  

A revered firearms history author told me that he wished he had back everything he wrote before the age of 50.  Discoveries never cease.  Life is a learning experience.

I am grateful to our SSS members for all of their authoritative supplemental Spencer information via posts HERE, and PM's, that added significant problem solving information.

The SORI Section is superb, but readers should be careful to clearly understand details. Some apply to originals, some to reproductions, some to hybrids, and some is incomplete.

Happy Holidays, love and Gung Ho.

Respectfully,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:13:38 AM »

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
and those are words of wisdom.  Here is something I'm almost ashamed to ask.  My Marcot book is in a bookshelf hard to reach right now.  Is there a chance you could give me a page?  Old and feeble, or just stupid.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Am not home, but I recall the page was included in Two Flints' post. 
You can search "sling swivel".

Regards.

Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com