Author Topic: Satin Nickel Finish ?  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Satin Nickel Finish ?
« on: November 11, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »
I have one of the USFA 3" Sheriff's Models in their satin nickel finish. I am curious if anyone has attempted to polish the "satin" so you ended up with just "nickel"? The two threads about refinishing Rodeos got me thinking.

Inquiring minds want to know (smile).

Dave

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Satin Nickel Finish ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 06:10:44 PM »
Good question, Dave!  
I doubt that you could ever polish out a "satin nickel" finish to a "bright nickel" finish.  It just won't happen.  
I have been led to believe, here on this board, that with patience and an amount of effort you can, using a product such as "Birchwood Casey Lead Remover & Polishing Cloth," turn that satin nickel finish into something that more resembles an antique nickel appearance.  I have seen the results and, to my eye, it is much more appealing.
Hopefully Yahoody, our resident "expert" in such matters, will join in and give you more specific advice.  
CJF  
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »
Both the Rodeo and Rodeo II started with glass beaded parts (frame, cylinder, etc).  The Rodeo went into the blue tank and the Rodeo II into the nickel tank.  Other than the final finish, same gun.  The only way to put a bright nickel finish on a Rodeo II, is to strip the nickel, put a high polish on the components, then renickel. Same is true for the Rodeo if you wanted to put on a bright nickel finish.  Polishing would take off the blue.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:18:49 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
Capt. John,

The "antique nickel appearance" sounds like what I have in mind, rather than a "bright nickel".

Years ago I had a custom Colt 1911 built that was finished in a satin electro-less nickel. Every time I pick up this Sheriff's Model I think of that 20th Century gun. I'm looking for more of a 19th Century look.

Dave

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:10:12 AM »
I've used the BC lead removal cloth on both a Rodeo I and a Rodeo II to what I think is good effect.

On the Rodeo II version the cloth mutes the matte finish some and shines it up...odd combo for sure.  More an antique nickel look like Nutmeg offers than the electoless matte nickel now.  On the Rodeo I is takes off the blue and just like on the Rodeo II  polishes the bead blast finish some.  I would assume that if you did it enough you'd have finely polished bright steel.

before and after the liberal application of a BC cloth and elbow grease.  Plus some ivory aging.   Part of the difference in photos is the lighting.  But the majory of the gun's finish was actually softened up by the liberal use of the BC cloth.

And my Rodeo I's aged using the same amount of elbow grease and just a few minutes with a BC cloth when the guns were torn apart.

Hundred year old Bisley and one of those same Rodeos I's that I got a little more aggressive with using the BC cloth after the first photo..

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »
yahoody,

Thanks for the pictures. Gives me a better idea of what to expect. Now I need to take a few "before" pictures so I can see how much difference the polishing makes "after". (smile)

Dave

Offline Kingair

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:13:29 PM »
yahoody,

Thanks for the pictures. Gives me a better idea of what to expect. Now I need to take a few "before" pictures so I can see how much difference the polishing makes "after". (smile)

Dave
Please do !

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
Quote from: Dave T

I hear you have some "after" photos you might like to share :)
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com