Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 09:31:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Issues with Two New Cimarron Pistols? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Issues with Two New Cimarron Pistols?  (Read 179 times)
NarrowGaugeKid
Citizen

« on: November 04, 2017, 09:33:24 pm »

I recently received two brand new Cimarron pistols - one a lightning and a man with no name 1851 conversion, and I'm about 99% sure there is an issue with the lightning and maybe with the 1851.

The lightning has the lightest trigger pull I've ever felt (the very definition of hair trigger), so not sure if it is related.  The issue itself is that if I cock it past half cock too softly/slowly, it often slips back into half cock after I release it, and won't go into full cock, and I have to pull the trigger and start all over.  But, when I cock it quickly, doesn't seem to happen.  Did I happen to get a lemon and need to send it back, or I'm I missing something obvious that needs to be adjusted? 

For the 1851, function may be ok, but doesn't seem to match the instruction manual, which is for a richards-mason.  At quarter cock, cylinder spins, at half cock, it doesn't spin (and the hammer falls back to a point that looks very similar to the quarter cock position).  If I'm reading the manual right, sounds like the cylinder should spin freely in both, but this doesn't make sense to me as I can't see why the cylinder needs to spin except in one position for loading.  Does the function of my pistol sound correct?

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you. 
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:28:08 pm »

Howdy Kid.  I would say that the Lightning might need to go back.  Just be sure you are pulling the hammer all the way back.  It is possible it is as simple as the main spring being a hair too long and binding the hammer.  But also likely that the sear is not fit correctly and that could be dangerous.  When it does go to full cock by cocking fast, is the trigger overly light?

As for the MWNN, it is the same frame as the '71 Opentop.  But similarly to the conversions, there is no "safety notch" which you are calling quarter cock.  The gun only gives you three clicks instead of four like the SAA.  That first click is half-cock, where you load/unload.  The next click is the bolt popping up to hit the cylinder and the last click is full cock.

NarrowGaugeKid
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 12:16:59 pm »

Thanks Abilene.  Sounds like the 1851 is ok then.

With the lightning, I'm definitely pulling the hammer all the way back when it's occurring, but the issue seems to be that at the 3rd click just before final click that if I let off even the slightest, or sometimes even just holding it, it causes issues.  The trigger pull after fully cocked is extremely light even after cocking fast.  By comparison, the 1851 trigger feels really heavy, but the more I dry-fired both (with snap caps), I realized that the lightning seemed too light vs the 1851 being heavy.  And here I was thinking I had a really nicely tuned gun right out of the box.

Oh well, looks like that one's going back for now.  I definitely don't like a hammer deciding to move on its own.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Issues with Two New Cimarron Pistols? « previous next »
Jump to: