Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 02:29:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The American Plainsmen Society (Moderators: Caleb Hobbs, Tsalagidave)  |  Topic: Pedersoli Hawken Rifle 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pedersoli Hawken Rifle  (Read 658 times)
Niederlander
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:04 pm »

Gentlemen,  Anyone here have one of the Pedersoli Hawkens?  How do they shoot?  They look really nice in the pictures, and I may have a chance to get one.

"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"
Buffalo Creek Law Dog
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:43 pm »

Can't speak about the Hawken but, I have the Pedersoli Pennsylvania 45 cal, Kentucky 50 cal  and the Scout 50 cal cap locks and they are excellent firearms.  You won't regret getting a Pedersoli.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
Niederlander
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 05:51:18 am »

Yes, I used to have a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps.  Very nice rifle.  Glad to hear the muzzleloaders are nice, too.

Jack Wagon
Top Active Citizen

the High Sierra

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 04:50:02 pm »

I have the .54 Pedersoli maple stocked Rocky Mt. rifle. Beautiful tiger striped stock, excellent fit and finish and a great shooter. It is the gun I compete with at my muzzle loading club.   Jw

Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS
LonesomePigeon
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 12:02:37 am »

I too have a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken .54 caliber with maple stock. I have only shot it a few times but it shoots great. First time out with it I hit the 100 yard gong offhand with the very first shot. Next 3 shots were bench rest at 25 yards, all 3 touching in the 10 ring.

I will say it's a heavy rifle at about 10 pounds and for me it's a bit barrel heavy but I guess one can learn to deal with it. Another thing that I am not sure if I like or not is that there is a flat spring on the bottom of the barrel. I think it is designed to hold the barrel more firmly in the stock, with an effect similar to glass bedding. I think this feature probably does help with accuracy but it also makes the wedge keys hard to drive out.

All in all I think it is an excellent rifle. Be aware that there are two main versions of this rifle. The Rocky Mountain has a 1:65 slow twist for roundball and the Missouri River has a fast twist(not sure exactly what it is) for conical bullets.
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 08:08:53 pm »

The Lyman Great Plains rifle had 2 different twists, too. I wonder if Pedersoli was providing them to Lyman?
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 10:56:33 am »

I have two Pedersoli muzzleloaders. 1.  .45 Tryon back action lock. A formidable offhand target rifle. and 2. 54 cal Mortimer flintlock with a spare 12ga. shot barrel. The lock is VERY reliable and fast. I heartily recommend Pedersoli rifles.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Tsalagidave
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Dave Rodgers

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 05:41:14 pm »

The Pedersoli barrels are good and the overall package offers a good shooter at a good price.  They seem to be used quite commonly in a lot of competitive BP shooting clubs.  If you are looking for hardcore authentic stuff, it's easy to tell a Pedersoli apart from an original even if they are in the same condition.  That said, I think they are worth their salt for what they give out.

-Dave

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.
Reverend P. Babcock Chase
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 08:52:05 am »

Howdy ML Fans,

Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle

I believe that a company named Investarms makes them for Lyman. They are not Pedersoli. Pedersoli makes Lyman's superb "Model of 1878 (Sharps)". I have worked as a consultant with Lyman for years and that is my recollection.

Reverend Chase
Mike
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 04:43:51 pm »

All we see over here is the Plain Jane Kentucky rifles, from the web site there are some real nice looking Hawkins style gun available.
The Pedersoli guns I have used and seen all shoot well with the right load/patch/ball combo.

Buffalochip
Tsalagidave
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Dave Rodgers

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 05:28:55 pm »

That's good to know Reverend Chase, I was not aware of that. Aside from a repro m1855 rifle musket, I don't have any pure  Italian guns in my collection anymore.  I do like how they shoot however,  but am admittedly not as in the know on the Italian BP arms as I should be.

-Dave

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.
Niederlander
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 09:09:46 am »

I read a review of the Pedersoli Hawken the other day by a guy who has owned one original Hawken and handled at least fifteen others.  He said the fit and finish of the Pedersoli was, in his opinion, better than the originals.  I know they sure look nice.  I'm going to be looking for one if I can raise the money.

Niederlander
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 06:06:48 pm »

Well, I've got one on the way.  I'll try to post some pictures when it gets here.

LonesomePigeon
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #13 on: Today at 01:52:26 am »

That's awesome, congrats.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The American Plainsmen Society (Moderators: Caleb Hobbs, Tsalagidave)  |  Topic: Pedersoli Hawken Rifle « previous next »
Jump to: