Author Topic: Quality of Ithaca SKB (Miroku) shotguns  (Read 3390 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quality of Ithaca SKB (Miroku) shotguns
« on: October 31, 2017, 03:11:44 PM »
Anyone shooting an Ithaca shotgun of any stripe? I have a lovely Ithaca 'Flues' 12 ga SxS I bought for CAS - 28" M&F. So nice that I rarely shoot it and beat up my Stoeger 'Uplander' instead. Dated to the early 1900's. This gun will NOT be chopped into a Coach Gun!

Now I'm considering an excellent Ithaca (Miroko) 20 ga 500 OU for casual trap and sporting clays. They haven't been made for a couple of decades (or more) but would likely outlast me.

Good investment or not? A Browning/Beretta/Bennneli is our of the question and the budget.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Quality of Ithaca SKB (Miroku) shotguns
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »
I bought a used Miroko built Charles Daily SxS many years ago and other then clean and oil it I've needed to do nothing to it.

I'm now working on a 20 gauge Flues and it was a well built shotgun that had it been taken care of wouldn't need my help. It was rusty with a busted stock when it came in the door.

I never looked at a firearm as an investment just as a fine tool. Buy the best I can and take care of them.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 01:05:41 PM »
My answer would require the definition of "Investment."  First, my Caveat:  I don't look at, Buy or grab any gun as a collector, or to wait for it to appreciate and become "more" valuable.  I look at guns as working tools or working toys.  Either way, "working" applies.  I just don't see "investing" in guns to be a valid alternative to Robbing Banks.

Too the guns themselves.  Miroku make fine guns.  Their machine work is superb.  Well maintained, it would be reasonable to expect them to perform thru regular use and out last you.  By a lot.  My personal opinion, those who cut up really nice double guns for CAS are really missing the boat.  There are a plethora of inexpensive Double Guns nobody will miss.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:42:53 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »
I agree totally! When I bought my Ithaca 'Flues' model where it was on consignment, the caveat from the owner was that if I wanted to chop it to a Coach Gun, no deal. The gun has remained stock and will remain so.

I saw an interview of actor Robert Stack (one of the early Skeet shooters along with Clark Gable, Roy Rogers, et al) where he lamented chopping the barrels of a lot of classic Parkers and other classy shotguns to 26" Cylinder bores. He came to regard that as sacrilege.

I think I'll acquire the SKB 500 OU but I'll be paying top dollar for it as the seller will not budge save to split shipping. I did knock him down $250 from his original asking price.

I've also been looking at a nice Browning SxS with 26" barrels that has been bubbaed (chokes mod'd to cylinder bore), but nicely reblued and refinished. Would make a good Skeet or CAS gun but not at the asking price.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
I have an Ithaca SKB 20ga. pump I bought in 1981, just before I turned 15.   mind you I do limited hunting, so not getting a beating in the brush, but in my day, I shot a lot of clay with it.   Cycles like it is brand new.   If I had need of another one, it would be what I got.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 07:01:09 PM »
The SKB 500 OU is on it's way to me! The guy included shipping in the price.

Read on the net that it has a better locking system than the Browning Citori.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com