Author Topic: Spam Am shoot at Dare  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Spam Am shoot at Dare
« on: October 29, 2017, 07:34:53 AM »
ECSASS shot our semi annual Span Am/ monthly cowboy match yesterday. We had 6 cowboys and cowgirls and 4 boltgunners competing. Nice weather, no bugs and big targets. I shot my Krag Constabulary with bayonet and my buddy shot his genuwine Krag carbine while the other shooters used Mausers. Krags being the smoooth guns that they are my bud and I were first and second plus we were in uniform. In all honesty, the A cowboy shooters were at a big match in VA and a couple of other boltgunners were awol. With such a small group 6 stages went fast. We had a swell time. Them Spaniards never had a chance. 'Remember the Maine'

P.S. Just thought I'd mention that my bayonet stayed on the rifle just fine as I've heard this seems to be a issue for some Krag shooters.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Spam Am shoot at Dare
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 08:19:52 AM »
It certainly can be! 
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:05:45 AM »
Howdy Ed....looks and sounds like a good time!

Can you tell me a bit about your gun leather/cartridge and shot gun belts?  Who made 'em?  How do you like them?

thanks!
GAF#379

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:42:05 PM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:51:36 AM »
Thanks for asking, we had a good shoot. Shot it clean too. My shotgun and 30-40 Krag ammo belts are original Mills belts. I've collected a few over the years. The sg belts hold 25 rds. The older one that I used has the C style closure but I also have a later one with the T style clasp. The rifle belt was a 35 rd single loop which I used as a holster belt. I've got a double loop belt but it's a heavy one if you load it full. Canvas is a lot more comfortable than leather, it flexes with you but it can stretch while you're wearing it. The story is that John Wayne used a gunbelt made from firehose in his later films as it was much more comfortable. My half flap holsters are from Wolfs Ears. Stan Dolega made them, I've always preferred the half flaps. He does nice work. I carried a New Service 7.5 inch bbl .38-40 in the crossdraw and a NS 6 inch.38 spcl on my strong side. I've got a pair of 1892s but didn't have enough heel based .38 long ammo loaded up to shoot the match.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 03:56:02 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for the info.  Those original belts are in fine shape.  Good to see them still in use.
It seems that Wolf Ears is out of business. :(  Too bad, the made some nice stuff.  Reason I asked I have a Colt NS in .44-40 on the way to me.  I would love to pick up a nice half flap holster for it.
GAF#379

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »
Regarding firehose.....I've often thought about making a gunbelt from some used 1-1/2" hose but sewing that stuff up would be tough.
GAF#379

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 08:57:37 PM »
Regarding firehose.....I've often thought about making a gunbelt from some used 1-1/2" hose but sewing that stuff up would be tough.

Hi

I'm pretty sure that what you're calling fire hose is just plain old leather with the rough side out. 

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 09:44:26 PM »
Hi

I'm pretty sure that what you're calling fire hose is just plain old leather with the rough side out. 

Later

I don't know if John Wayne used fire hose, I had heard that it was rough side out leather.  I do know that some guys have made belts using old fire hose.   
GAF#379

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »
I stand corrected, I thought that I had read somewhere that The Duke had started using a canvas gunbelt. Well I still prefer canvas over leather. One of my favorites is a tan foragers belt that I found at a match. It has both sg and rifle loops.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 03:59:21 PM »
Hi Ed

You might want to check David Carrico Leather.  He makes several canvas belt styles for rifle, pistol and shotgun, or a combination.  I have both .45-70 and 12 gauge belts and a Fair Weather Christian belt for .45 LC that David made.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com