Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 03:17:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gun Reviews (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Arcey)  |  Topic: How to ruin a Pietta 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to ruin a Pietta  (Read 2264 times)
Jubal Starbuck
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 05:46:21 am »

I am finding this to be a very interesting thread.  I enjoy tinkering with cap and ball revolvers to make them run better.  Thanks for your time and efforts.

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

Got whiskey, will stumble.

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 12:19:59 pm »

B.R. Smith, won't you post a photo or two of your improved 1860 replica. I'm interested in your work as would others.
Starbuck, sharing is what makes this site work. I live to serve.  Grin

Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
Black River Smith
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 04:52:31 pm »

I will try and post some pictures before I do the final blueing, so area altered is visible.

But a caveat to my last post is -- if you do not '''like the bullet cavity shape''' change that first.  Or else, you will be doing what I am now having to do that is re-working the side radiusing to follow the new shape of the cavity.

Black River Smith
Black River Smith
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 05:13:55 pm »

Attached are pictures as requested.

First is the right side of barrel.  Second is the straight on of the rear of the barrel.  Third is the left side of barrel.  Fourth is barrel attached to frame.

Please note that I did cut my own profile into the barrel above the bullet cavity.  I did do this on purpose so that it did not resemble any pattern that I saw on an original Colt.  I did not like the Knife edge or the tapered drop to the cavity that I saw on originals from pictures from the internet, so I did what the Pietta allowed and what I liked.   Plus the metal thickness would require a lot of work to get to the proper Colt image.

The fourth photo also allows you to see the deepened groove between the cylinder and the barrel and the increased depth of the grease grooves on the arbor.

* image3.JPG (36.09 KB, 240x320 - viewed 9 times.)

* image1.JPG (31.97 KB, 240x320 - viewed 9 times.)

* image2.JPG (34.65 KB, 240x320 - viewed 8 times.)

* image4.JPG (31.66 KB, 240x320 - viewed 9 times.)

Black River Smith
Black River Smith
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 06:42:30 pm »

One other thing I did while cleaning up these revolvers was to modify the hammer face slot, as per the Bottom Dealing Mike suggestion and video, so that fired caps would 'hopefully' not stick and jam the action.

Black River Smith
45 Dragoon
Citizen

« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 09:32:21 pm »

Making the slot in the hammer face thinner (as in just wide enough to allow the safety pin to clear) will go a long way towards keeping the caps from "sticking" to it. This is how the originals were.

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gun Reviews (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Arcey)  |  Topic: How to ruin a Pietta « previous next »
Jump to: