Author Topic: Oil Finnish Grip .  (Read 5134 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Oil Finnish Grip .
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:57:59 PM »
Stripped off the Uberti red stain and Linseed oil was applied . Can see the  grain that was covered up  now . Like them better now . What Ya think ? ,,,,,DT

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: Oil Finnish Grip .
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »
Oh, yes.  MUCH better.

I still haven't gotten up the nerve to try refinishing my grips/stocks myself, but I'm getting closer every time I see someone's photos.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »
Just do it Creek , the stripping part went quick , cleaned the grips up  and buffed just a bit with 0000 wool , that part didnt take more than 30 min. then 6 or 7 coats of oil . Was worth it .  They feel better in the hand also ,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:42:44 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »
Looks great!  I always prefer oil finish.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:46:09 PM »
Stripped off the Uberti red stain and Linseed oil was applied . Can see the  grain that was covered up  now . Like them better now . What Ya think ? ,,,,,DT

Dusty
nice !!!
I am thinking of stripping my uberti 1876 ? have you done one ? and what quality wood did you find underneath?

I stripped and refinished a winchester model 70 stock years ago (only because it was looking really untidy after being a work gun) - found a really nice piece of wood under the gunk - every time I look at that I just wonder what sort of Idiot it took to cover that walnut up with paint - but then - it was winchester - all thumbs at the time were firmly pressing on the self destruct button .!!!!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 12:02:23 AM »
Just do it Creek , the stripping part went quick , cleaned the grips up  and buffed just a bit with 0000 wool , that part didnt take more than 30 min. then 6 or 7 coats of oil . Was worth it .  They feel better in the hand also ,,,DT
Ditto  Creek .....easy project

get some Citri-Strip ECG73807  or equivalent  ...put down some newspaper , and wear plastic gloves
about 2-3 applications and used an old plastic credit card like scraper  between apps ....wash the grips in warm water to remove last vestiges of old finish & stripper. Inspect and be sure all is removed ...
The grips will whisker a bit , that's were the 0000 steel wool comes in ( no sandpaper less is 500-600 wet dry )

allow to dry, at this point the grip may be a bit light or kinda leached out ... if that is the case , I use some brown leather dye
diluted  to  4 -1 ....that should be about right  but you be that judge....

Here is where I differ on the Linseed oil.... I use Shidmore's  wood restorer ( same product as their leather conditioner )
it is a wax and blend of 100% natural oil .....
https://www.amazon.com/Skidmores-Restoration-Restorer-Conditioner-Repellent/dp/B06W9KQSGS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508821033&sr=8-2&keywords=skidmores+leather+cream

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 06:51:10 AM »
Dusty
nice !!!
I am thinking of stripping my uberti 1876 ? have you done one ? and what quality wood did you find underneath?

I stripped and refinished a winchester model 70 stock years ago (only because it was looking really untidy after being a work gun) - found a really nice piece of wood under the gunk - every time I look at that I just wonder what sort of Idiot it took to cover that walnut up with paint - but then - it was winchester - all thumbs at the time were firmly pressing on the self destruct button .!!!!
   Thanks Greyhawk   I personally have not stripped a Uberti 1876 / I have seen some that were stripped and oil finish applied . They all looked great. I'd give it a try! ,,,DT

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
Dandy looking grips, and a rather artsie photo!
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 04:05:51 PM »
   Thanks Greyhawk   I personally have not stripped a Uberti 1876 / I have seen some that were stripped and oil finish applied . They all looked great. I'd give it a try! ,,,DT

Dusty
You have a good eye so I would appreciate your opinion (anybody else that feels like weighin in too) Pics below of a build I am workin on - converted a '92 over from 32-20 to 38-40, the mechanicals are all fine - while I waited for a new barrel I used an old 24inch 73 barrel and thats whats in the pic, the new barrel just turned up yesterday so at some point I can finish this job am going with a rifle forend cap and that will be blued not silver like in the pic - I made that short forend wood years ago - like it - it suits my grip/shooting style - if I keep it the barrel band you see ahead of it will go and be replaced by a front band 4 inch back from the muzzle - new barrel is 26 inches long instead of the 24 we have now but same profile - i have a really thin magazine tube (third pic) with the new barrel band fitted - weight is not gonna be a problem it will come in around 7.5pounds . What I am pondering on is the look of this ourtfit with the short forend you see here versus the longer skinny winchester profile one considering the longer barrel and all - want that long slim look as much as I can - maybe setting the front band back a bit nmore from the muzzle would help too ?say halfway along the round section ?    Be pleased if ya take a look at this sometime
cheers
Greyhawk

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 06:09:33 AM »
 Nice looking project .In my opinion the magazine hanger would be placed 4" to 4-1/2 " back from the muzzle . Should give the look you want . ,,,DT

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »

One of the first modifications I make to a new cap gun is to strip the varnish from the grips. I then checker them and apply several coats of linseed oil.  The checkering makes for a much firmer grip when you are shooting.  Bullet lube and sweat can make grips very slippery.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »

Sorry, I forgot the picture.

Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
Very nice looking revolvers Amigo  !,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
Nice looking project .In my opinion the magazine hanger would be placed 4" to 4-1/2 " back from the muzzle . Should give the look you want . ,,,DT

Yep thats the plan - the magazine hanger thats on it now is too fat - its in the forend dovetail on the old barrel - wanted to get out and shoot for a bit so just put the forend wood and cap on loose and used that hanger to secure the tube - the new tube that goes with the new 26 inch barrel is too thin to allow a pin through the hanger without distorting the tube so I made a collar that will solder on and hold tight in the forend nose cap - pushing some of these things a bit in order to keep it light and slim -- bottom line - nothing in this plan that I cant change out for a more original /conventional configuration . Thanks for you time .
Greyhawk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com