Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 05:34:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gunsmithing  |  Topic: Modify Walker recoil shield? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Modify Walker recoil shield?  (Read 295 times)
OD#3
Top Active Citizen

« on: October 19, 2017, 10:22:18 pm »

So I'm working on a new Uberti Walker.  Before I addressed the rough action, I've been taking care of the usual Uberti longevity/reliability fixes.  I tackled the arbor length first, and it turned out well.  I'm currently finishing up the installation and fitting of a cap rake, and then it is on to the loading lever catch.  But I've been wondering about the right side of the recoil shield.  Since the Walker lacks the groove between the hammer slot and the capping cutout on the right side of the frame, am I likely to get cap jams despite my cap rake?  Does anyone here modify their Walkers by adding that groove?
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 10:10:21 am »

Hey OD  Grin

I normally don't chime in unless I have something meaningful to contribute.  Unless of course I'm being facetious (sorta like now).  But over the years, nobody ever brought me a Walker.  Which is OK with me, as I have enough trouble with a Hernia.  I'd be more concerned with the Carriage and Trails for that cannon  Roll Eyes

There is a fella I shoot with that shoots a pair of Walkers .... Gunfighter no less.  Shocked   As far as I know, his guns have not been modified with the Cap Channel.  Other than needing a "Gun Bearer" he doesn't seem to have problems other than normal Cap Jams (no rake). 

I think before I would consider milling the recoil shield I'd have to run the guns some to see if it was even needed.  Using Slix nipples, normally the Caps stay on the nipples until removed at the unloading table.  Normally, the rake prevents the cap from coming completely off the nipple.   That might not be the case if running a reduced Main Spring and full house loads (lotta oomph there).  I don't think I'd bother adding the Cap Channel until I ran the gun some.  Oh, you might also need a Cason for enough powder  Grin
OD#3
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:28:38 am »

Thanks for the advice and the reminder about Slix nipples.  I'd forgotten that those were on my list of "things to buy" for my 1851 as well.  After I'd installed the cap rake on my 1851, I tested it by popping caps sans powder and ball.  The rake kept the cap heads on the nipple, but the cap bodies were "banana-peeled" so badly, that they tended to jam up a little on the water table during cylinder rotation.  I've never used Slix nipples before, but I read and hear that they mostly prevent this.

I was hoping you'd be one to chime in here, and you didn't disappoint.  Informative and very entertaining as usual.  Thanks!
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 02:31:54 pm »

It is likely, even with Slix, you will get the occasional jam at the Water Table.  Normally (normal being a setting on the dryer) with Slix the cap splits into three "leaves" with the leaves remaining in the nipple recess.  Once in a blue moon or so, I get the ubiquitous hang up at the water table.  I can count those on one hand over three or four seasons.

However ....... let us not forget Murphy.  We're talking Cap Guns here.  Murphy's First Law of Cap Guns clearly states,  "If it Can go Wrong, It Will" further clarified by "At the Worst possible Time."  Such as, a Walker loading lever only drops during firing when it is aligned with a chamber and so jams up the whole works.

As you progress with your Walker, I can get you a real good deal on a Chain Fall and Engine Hoist  Roll Eyes
Gabriel Law
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:27:12 pm »

My Uberti  Walker (serial number 00032) imported by Canadian Firearms Mfg. here in Prince George BC, has only had one alteration.  That was to replace the stock nipples with replacements from TOW.  It fires flawlessly, and does not have jamming issues.  I use 53 gr. FFg GOEX and CCI #11 caps, and a ball from a .460" Lee mold.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gunsmithing  |  Topic: Modify Walker recoil shield? « previous next »
Jump to: