Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2017, 06:10:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Adjusting Uberti Carbine Sight 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adjusting Uberti Carbine Sight  (Read 267 times)
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« on: October 07, 2017, 08:23:04 pm »

I've had my Uberti NWMP carbine for some time now and I really like it.  The only thing that has been a real issue for me has been that the gun shoots very high.  Since the sights are not really adjustable, I've tried a couple of things to improve things.  Firstly, I used JB Weld to attach a brass rod, which I had shaped, to the top of the front sight.  It worked, but it was very... unsightly.  (I've used that method with other rifles and it really didn't detract from the appearance, but this one did.)  I then purchased a Marble's tang sight, which solved the POA/POI problem, but I really didn't like it.  The sight itself seemed fragile and I was always worried about bending it or something.  Also, it just didn't look right to me on a NWMP carbine.

Yesterday I did what I probably should have done from the start.  I filed down the flats on top of the stock rear sight and slightly deepened the groove.  I brought the POI down to POA, then cold blued the sight.  Ahhh.  Now it looks like it should (although I wish it had something more like a Spanish Metre sight) AND hits where I'm aiming.  It really was pretty quick and easy; I feel silly for having tried all of the other "solutions" first.  Live and learn, I guess.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:49:51 pm »

My Chiappa was about the same. After a session at the range I discovered that if you hold the frontsight very finely, just so it looks like a speck of pepperat the bottom of the "V". THEN, everything fell into line all the way out to our max range of 300 yards.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 08:10:39 am »

I've found that most uberti 73 carbines are the same way. Have to file down the rear sight.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 04:01:19 pm »

I've found that most uberti 73 carbines are the same way. Have to file down the rear sight.

When I get elected as King of Uberti, one of the first things that I will decree, right after selling Bongo to a travelling circus, will be that ALL front sights must be made extra high to allow users to easily file them down to suit themselves.  Ah, yes, King of Uberti.  I can see myself on the throne now.  What a benevolent ruler I would be.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
will52100
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 11:07:30 pm »

Check your magazine tube fit.  When I first got mine, I wound up having to set up a 4'x8' sheet of OSB to see where I was hitting at.  about 3'-4' high at 40 yards.  Found the issue when I went to remove the mag tube.  It was in such a bind that it was flexing the barrel up.  It's been a while, but seems like I had to take about 1/16" off the end, and that lowered the shot placement considerably.  Enough that I could use the factory sights.  I wound up replacing the rear sight with a ghost ring simply because my eyes aren't 19 anymore.

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Adjusting Uberti Carbine Sight « previous next »
Jump to: