Author Topic: 1851 Colt Grips Needed!  (Read 4149 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1851 Colt Grips Needed!
« on: September 24, 2017, 07:06:17 AM »
I have a pair of 1851 Colts that I purchased used from two different sellers. The grips do not match and it drives my OCD crazy!

One is marked "ASM" and the other "Navy Arms"....Otherwise, they are identical

Anyone have a matching set of grips or would like to trade for one or the other shown in the picture so that I end up with matching grips.

Otherwise, who makes aftermarket  grips for these revolvers?
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: 1851 Colt Grips Needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 07:29:15 AM »
VTI  has grips...unfinished & finished ....Uberti Navy and SAA is the same within minor limits ..
not sure of ASM's

I've had some luck using VTI's finished grips in bolt on situations , sometimes spot on other time some fitting needed.
Obviously, unfinished will need fitting but reasonably easy ...

How about trying the set of that old "51" beater set you traded with me ?  remember ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 08:09:09 AM »
Don't remember the trade. What was the deal?
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:34:34 AM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
Don't remember the trade. What was the deal?

Doh !   old timers brain fade  :-\   ......it was with Dusty Texan  .... sorry

Still leaves VTI  :)  http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=297&cat=Uberti+1851+Navy

Description #11
Uberti Finished Grip for Steel BS/TG (1873 SA & Buckhorn, 1851 London)
Check Stock Price
US$46.00

Item
# 11
UB:005011/unf
UB:005011/unfDescription
Uberti Unfinished Grip, Steel (1873 SA, 1851 London, Buckhorn)
Check Stock Price
US$28.50

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
VTI  has grips...unfinished & finished ....Uberti Navy and SAA is the same within minor limits ..
not sure of ASM's...

Uberti SAA and Navy grips are different enough that neither can be fitted to the other properly.  And while I am not positive about this, I think the ASM grip is different enough from Uberti to be unusable.  No idea about Pietta.  Perhaps aftermarket oversize like Buffalo Brothers?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »
Uberti SAA and Navy grips are different enough that neither can be fitted to the other properly.  And while I am not positive about this, I think the ASM grip is different enough from Uberti to be unusable.  No idea about Pietta.  Perhaps aftermarket oversize like Buffalo Brothers?

I've had some luck using VTI's finished grips in bolt on situations , sometimes spot on other time some fitting needed.
Obviously, unfinished will need fitting but reasonably easy.

not disagreeing , just my experience

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »
Obviously, unfinished will need fitting but reasonably easy.

not disagreeing , just my experience

Yes, sometimes you get lucky fitting one Uberti grip to another Uberti of the same model. 

But were you ever trying to fit a Navy grip to an SAA gripframe or an SAA grip to a Navy brass grip frame?  Seems like all those I've tried (from new parts bins at Cimarron), there was enouigh grip frame very proud of the wood in one or more places (front and/or back) that it would never fit.  That is what I was saying.

There was also a box of old ASM grips  They were all unmarked so couldn't tell if for SAA or conversions, but they never came close to fitting any Uberti.  Now, there were no ASM guns (well, there were some odd Richards remnants that were not to be sold, but didn't play with those), so I never tried to put an Uberti grip on an ASM.  I suppose it may be possible that an Uberti grip might still be oversized for an ASM. ??

I've heard of some gripmakers that have you make a tracing of your gripframe and cut grips based on that.  Gripmaker perhaps?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »

Well guys .... Both guns Roy B has are/were made by Armi San Marco.  Now of course ...... defunct.  I have had some experience fitting grips from "others" to ASM guns.  They don't.  Here is the other rub.  Most ASM parts don't fit most ASM guns.  Marvelous no??

My suggestion is to make a tracing from the Grip Frame on each gun and have a set of matching grips made by "Gripmaker."  Not necessarily wood.  But some fine faux ivory is to be had.  Some fitting of course, but actually much easier to do  with grip panels intended to fit the guns rather than trying to fit something that doesn't fit anything.  Actually.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 05:31:19 PM »
I saw this earlier, but thought I'd let those who've had more experience buying grips here and there chime in first. My only grip buying experience for cap n balls/conversions is with Dixie, for a EuroArms 51 Navy. They're oversize, need to be worked down. A friend has bought single action style grips for various handguns from Dixie, need fitting but good quality. I was thinking as CoffinMaker, "Gripmaker", have looked at his site a number of times to do a OpenTop, have seen his grips..Good product. As far as VTI goes, I've done business with them before, good source, but have found that Taylors have lower price's for the same Uberti/Pietta parts the majority of the time. Cimarron has even beaten VTI a lot. I always check all three when checking part price and availability. Taylors usually tops all three in both areas. There's a bunch on the web, I searched once and quite a few come up, some I've never heard of before.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
Hmmm...I did not pickup BOTH were ASM ....somehow I thought ASM & Uberti  :-\

didn't really look at the photos  ???

Oh well....teach me to chime in before COFFEE !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »

The other point I forgot.  The Trigger Guard and Back Strap appear to be well fitted on both guns (buy a lotto ticket) and they are Silver Plated, not nickel, and of really good quality.  Don't want to lose em.  I'd work hard to keep them on the guns. 

The "kits" from Gripmaker to make one piece grips are terrific.  I suggest a serious look see.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 10:08:02 PM »

Another other point I forgot.  At one time I had a rather large pile of ASM Type one conversions (all 38s) as I needed a lot of parts to keep a pair running but I digress .......

My ASMs were the most accurate revolvers I have ever held in my hands.  They just wouldn't stay together very long.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com