Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 06:52:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gunsmithing  |  Topic: Base Pin issue on 1860 Colt Pietta 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Base Pin issue on 1860 Colt Pietta  (Read 419 times)
Mogorilla
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« on: September 15, 2017, 09:20:12 am »

Cleaned my 1860 colt Pietta and put it in a cloth case.   Unfortunately, I did not notice it was very wet, as I had grabbed it and the oil rag together.  set them down for a few weeks, came back to some rust where the cylinder meets the barrel on the base pin.  so, soaked in oil, as they were fairly gunked.   got all apart, cleaned and not a bit of rust to be seen.  Now though the cylinder and the barrel do not want to go back on the pin.   They slide on my other 1860 colt just fine.   I seriously see no rust and all is lubed well. 

Thoughts? before I do a touch of sanding to the end of the pin.

NCOWS #3297
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:47:21 am »

Unfortunately, rust also raises tiny little burrs.  Some polishing is needed.  You'll need some 800 or 1000 grit wet dry and a simple flap sander.  Put the frame in a padded vice and polish the Arbor lightly with the 800 or 1000.  Polish evenly all around the arbor. 

Cut a slot in the end of a 3/8 dowel and slide a folded piece of the 800 in the slot.  Run the flap sander all the way into the arbor bore in the barrel lug then with a folded piece of 1000, run that into the bore in the cylinder.  Try fit and repeat as necessary.
Mogorilla
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 12:08:43 pm »

thanks,
That is what I was thinking, but before I committed, I wanted a 2nd opinion.

NCOWS #3297
Professor Marvel
purveyor of useless items to the gentry
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

life is too short to waste on stupid

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 04:51:46 am »

Oh My NO!

Firstly you must show sincere remorse!
Then An act of contrition is required.

Take your 1860 down to its component parts, and polish the parts with shoe sole leather (no abrasive)
until fitment is achieved.

Then appologise to it.

yhs
prof marvel.

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gunsmithing  |  Topic: Base Pin issue on 1860 Colt Pietta « previous next »
Jump to: