Author Topic: '51 Navy Barrel Wedge Tightness  (Read 6936 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1153
Re: '51 Navy Barrel Wedge Tightness
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »
Wa Wa What??   :o   I think I've just been dismissed   8)

Oh my no, not at all.
I felt the need to perfomr a virtual "nod knowlingly to acknowledge that I am still listening"
whilst life gets in my way of actually doing something with it yet...

pray, all, please continue to expound

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1153
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
Nope ! youse not fired yet .
Just for fun do ya got any tricks fer gettin an old tired barrel shooting better
We rabarreled sons 73, now I gone an unearthed another 92 carcase minus barl - that 38/40 tube from the 73 was almost doinn ok - its rough inside - slugs out neat at .401 - crown is suspect and no rifling right at the muzzle - I will cut a half inch off and recrown it - and I have cleaned up several barrels using brasso and a tight steel wool brush - is there a better way??                                             its an easy fit to a 92 action (done that before wid a 44/40) an if I get it built nice can always get a new tube but there is a chance this one can be made work.
cheers  greyhawk

My Dear GreyHawk -

as our good Coffin said, you  are on the right track. I have found that, once the barrel has been really really cleaned (as you mentioned) then the "short cut" & recrown (that you propose ) will often bring it back to life, even if visually "rough", as long as there is still rifleing and a large enough lead bullet to engage it.

If that doesn;t work, Some folks like to polish the bore by using a tight patch, oil , and mild abrrasive like "bartender's friend".
but I have not  tried it myself.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 11:40:10 PM »
My Dear GreyHawk -

as our good Coffin said, you  are on the right track. I have found that, once the barrel has been really really cleaned (as you mentioned) then the "short cut" & recrown (that you propose ) will often bring it back to life, even if visually "rough", as long as there is still rifleing and a large enough lead bullet to engage it.

If that doesn;t work, Some folks like to polish the bore by using a tight patch, oil , and mild abrrasive like "bartender's friend".
but I have not  tried it myself.

yhs
prof marvel

Thanks professor
yeah had a go at this last night / yesterday - couldnt find the brasso (empty can! - long way to town) so..... what do we have??  Found my rouge stick from years ago (leatherwork used it for shinin up the swivel knife) so took a used brass cleaning brush, wrap as much fine steel wool around that as I can get - do a couple passes, wrap again real tight, now wet the rouge stick and wipe all over the steel wool till its red - go for it - I guess I spent about ten minutes actually scrubbing away at the bore - could feel the brush run easier after a bit, washed it out, dried, oiled, mop out excess oil till its dry - hold im to the light ....still rough .... but its kinda shiney rough. I slugged it again - cant measure any difference - still .401 (spot on for a 38/40) - but the look of the slug !! its come out smooth and shiny compared to the previous one - and its lands and grooves shiny - has got to be a big improvment - also turned about a half inch off the muzzle and recut the crown - that looking much better too - I bet this is gonna work!.
 Now I got some serious work to do converting a small case 92 over --- 25/20 to 38/40--  boltface - ejector - extractor - cartridge guides - bore out frame for magazine - magazine tube - spring - end plugs - gotta make a front magazine band sos I can upgrade to full length mag - and a feller gave me a curved tang so there will be a new stock and curved lever way down the track .

For now - will proly do the bolt face and fit barrel / headspace - test fire it as a single shot - if that works good - will just poke along steady and build me a nice 92 - the incentive here is what I see as a politically motivated shortage of replacement barrels - already
Track o the Wolf is telling us no exports cuz we gotta pay licence fees and a stack o BS to homeland security - Green Mountain proly the same already - we got one maker in Aus that would do a 38/40 barrel - but - dont know if he will do the correct twist - hes an old guy (I think) - it gets too hard - he quits - we sunk!           

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:38:47 AM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 11:52:48 PM »
ooooops
looks like I have derailed the train here - so I apologise for that
we were doing barrel wedge tightness
shoulda been a new thread with the last few posts ? salvaging a worn barrel or some such ?
ah well - nobodys complained yet - maybe i am forgiven.
Thanks all for the help

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com