Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 09:00:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1892 (Moderator: Isom)  |  Topic: '92 for deer and bear 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: '92 for deer and bear  (Read 2663 times)
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« on: August 24, 2017, 06:13:07 pm »

Who uses their '92 for hunting?

Got a load using Red Dot, Tite Group or Unique and lead 200 gr RNFP's?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
wildman1
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 05:24:07 am »

Use for hunting probably has more to do with caliber than rifle type.
wM1

WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:27:43 pm »

I should have mentioned that it is a Rossi SRC in 44-40.

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
King Medallion
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 09:53:02 am »

Put a bullet in the boiler room, animal will die, always been that way. Aim small, miss small.
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 11:39:39 am »

Thanks for the advice. Didn't realize that .....

Slamfire
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 08:36:05 pm »

Hey, there PJ,, i'm shoot'n 205gn. lfn,7.1 gn TB ( max about 8 + -) in my 92 44/40,,Should be good enough for coyote,,bob cat,,and deer out to 100 yds.

My target's are 24 in. sq steel plate's 1/8 in thick w/ 1/2 in cement encased on the back ,,7.1 gns. of TB,,the lead (205gn) bullets some times go thru,,,most time's they flatten out to about the size of a nickle.

Smoke'm if y'a got'm,,Hootmix.
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:44:12 am »

Thanks. I've got a jug of Trail Boss that I can't find much use for except in .45 Colt.

I'll give it a go with the powders I've got and see what works.

Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 12:41:22 pm »

I'd try to reach out to W44WCF.  I keep hoping that he chimes in with his extensive experience.  He has more practical experience with this cartridge than anyone I know.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
wildman1
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 04:08:05 pm »

Nothin wrong with a 44/40.
wM1

WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 06:25:46 pm »

Yadambetcha!

If a 44-40 '92 was good enough for the likes of John Wayne, Steve Mcqueen and Chuck Connors, it's good enough for this Cowboy.

I looked at my rack of lever guns recently and my B-92 is shorter in overall length and a lot trimmer than the Uberti '66 SRC beside it.

What's not to like?

Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 09:54:09 pm »

Yea .... Right  Shocked   Try and remember none 0 them guys ever fired their rifles in anger with live ammo.  Even "I" could look good with 5 in 1 Blanks   Cool

PS:  Before I tried it on Bear, I'd be looking for the heaviest Keith type semi-Wadcutter I could find in a .44 bullet.
Buck Stinson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 10:20:36 pm »

I've shot many deer with my 1892 carbines in .44WCF.  I would never try to take a bear with it unless I had no choice.  My favorite hunting load has always been 9.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain lead bullet. 
Jeremiah Jones
Citizen

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 10:50:25 pm »

I USE a Rossi 1892 in .45/.454  for whitetail.
Scattered Thumbs
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 04:21:29 am »

I hunt with a 92. But it's in .44 Mag and we have no bears here since the XVII th Century.  Roll Eyes
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 01:27:15 pm »

ST

Perhaps we should arrange the export of several mating pair of Kodiak your way??  Roll Eyes Spice up your hunting experience .. um .. by being hunted perhaps ......  Shocked
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »

Lots of good stuff here ....

I've shot two 400 lb+ black bars with my 50-70. Wouldn't have tried it had I been carrying a 44-40. On 250 lb'ers, maybe, if the shot was really close range.

I've never seen a Grizz in the wild, but I've put my size 8 into some Grizz tracks and felt very undergunned with my 50-70. I decided to get out of Dodge and go elsewhere .....

Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 08:24:24 pm »

A wise choice PJ.
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 08:54:12 pm »

Yea .... Right  Shocked   Try and remember none 0 them guys ever fired their rifles in anger with live ammo.  Even "I" could look good with 5 in 1 Blanks   Cool

Yahbut, that ain't the point .....

The '92 was carried by more iconic movie/TV Cowboys than any other lever action rifle.

It's slim, trim, fast handling and with twin locking lugs, a lot more skookum than the togglelinks. Browning/Winchester did it right.

BTW - my Rossi arrived today and I'm quite pleased with it. Attractive wood, no wingnut safety, very little used, bore perfect, bluing likewise, one minor kiss on the butt stock.

It even has a decent trigger and I'm going to do some shooting with it before I consider any mods or upgrades.

greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 10:54:14 pm »

Yahbut, that ain't the point .....

The '92 was carried by more iconic movie/TV Cowboys than any other lever action rifle.

It's slim, trim, fast handling and with twin locking lugs, a lot more skookum than the togglelinks. Browning/Winchester did it right.

BTW - my Rossi arrived today and I'm quite pleased with it. Attractive wood, no wingnut safety, very little used, bore perfect, bluing likewise, one minor kiss on the butt stock.

It even has a decent trigger and I'm going to do some shooting with it before I consider any mods or upgrades.

I blew my second paycheck on a 92 SRC in 1964 - have had a 92 or several in my rack ever since - all calibres - wasted a lot of powder foolin round with those guns doin tricks I saw in the movies and later on TV - I believe I could put one back together blindfold right now - but as much as I love em - as a fighting gun they are inferior to a 66 or a 73 (given standard factory ammunition of course) - proof? Toggle links reign supreme in cowboy sport shooting - after 30 years of playing with 92's I got my hands on a 66 (early uberti 44/40) - if you never jammed your trigger finger rapid firing a 92 you maybe never know the difference and wouldnt understand - Browning/Winchester overlooked it too.     
Scattered Thumbs
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 09:59:28 am »

ST

Perhaps we should arrange the export of several mating pair of Kodiak your way??  Roll Eyes Spice up your hunting experience .. um .. by being hunted perhaps ......  Shocked

LOL.

No worries on being hunted, also have an1886. Grin

But this a small country. There's not enouhg room for a couple of Kodiaks and me. Roll Eyes

* DSC00019 - Copy.JPG (143.58 KB, 576x432 - viewed 24 times.)
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 02:07:58 pm »

... after 30 years of playing with 92's I got my hands on a 66 (early uberti 44/40) - if you never jammed your trigger finger rapid firing a 92 you maybe never know the difference and wouldnt understand - Browning/Winchester overlooked it too.     

No, can't say that I've had that experience. I just racked both my B-92 and the new Rossi as fast as I possibly could many times and I'm at a loss as to how you jammed your fingers.

I'm more into to hitting a 'B' zone sized target at 25 yds than I am a speed shooter on 16" targets at 7m. That's the stuff that ruined CAS.

greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 08:18:33 pm »

No, can't say that I've had that experience. I just racked both my B-92 and the new Rossi as fast as I possibly could many times and I'm at a loss as to how you jammed your fingers.

- not fingers - just me trigger finger - look at em side by side - a lot more room in the lever loop of a 66 forward of the trigger and the trigger has less curl - I always kept my trigger finger inside the loop as I worked it and the soft part of my trigger finger ended up just right where that lil button thingy on the riflemans 92 sets - almost drove the tip of the trigger thru me finger tip as I slammed the lever shut - I was 20 years old at the time - but it hurt enough I remembered - I can hammer a 66 and not even think about it 

I'm more into to hitting a 'B' zone sized target at 25 yds than I am a speed shooter on 16" targets at 7m. That's the stuff that ruined CAS.
yeah agree with that to some degree - mousefart loads dont help either - when ya can hear the hammer fall over the muzzle blast somethin is seriously amiss - I dont shoot CAS - by time I came along the ruin was well established - and for an aussie raised in the bush and round horses the Texas costuming is waaaay over the top - just do a couple of rapid fire events at out local blackpowder club - but we have some fun - start with gun empty, gun and ammo on the ground, and raise as much hell as ya can in a minute (timed) - but target at 25 yards and ya need to stay inside six inches to be competitive - full case blackpowder loads - 20 hits would be seriously good shooting.   

PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 10:24:11 am »

Greyhawk

When I first got into CAS, it was the era of one gun, usually a .44 or .45. We all shot serious loads with heavy bullets. Took me years to learn that there were bullets other than 240 gr for .44 Vaqueros.

You had to be able to shoot as the targets were often smaller and further away than is the norm today. It was a matter of pride. Then the late 'China Camp' and his wife topped the heap shooting factory .38 Spl. and the race was on.

The game under SASS has morphed into something I'm sure the founders did not envision with all the categories and classes, a nightmare for shoot organizers. The Rule Book was once a shirt pocket size booklet and under 'Equipment Eligibility' it stated that if John Wayne would use it, it was OK.

For the most part, our club has stayed true to the original idea and we have spread this gospel to the clubs we helped get going north and south of us.

In 17 years, no one has yet shot our annual match clean. We have bobbing targets, poppers, flying targets in most stages that present a real challenge. People like it and keep coming back with friends.

King Medallion
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 10:08:30 pm »

In 17 years, no one has yet shot our annual match clean. We have bobbing targets, poppers, flying targets in most stages that present a real challenge. People like it and keep coming back with friends.

Now that sounds like fun!
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 10:52:43 am »

That's why we do it! Shooting hard to miss targets at close range gets old very quickly.

One of our biggest annual shoots used to be the same kind of challenge back in the era of one gun. Then I took a hiatus from the sport, returning in the era of two guns.

Things had changed. Gone were the challenging targets and we were shooting rifles at pistol distances. Accuracy side matches like the Duelling Tree were no longer done because people couldn't hit the plates!

Real loads had given way to pop guns loads where the bullet hitting steel made more noise than the report of the rifle. The .39 Spl. was te calibre of choice.

At a recent SASS Championship, 28 shooters out of 125 shot clean matches. It was no longer an accomplishment like it used to be.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1892 (Moderator: Isom)  |  Topic: '92 for deer and bear « previous next »
Jump to: