Author Topic: Cap and Ball loading  (Read 2606 times)

2 Walkers

Cap and Ball loading
« on: August 20, 2017, 08:53:07 PM »
Greetings all am after some info.Is it legal CAS/SASS wise to use a grub screw to hold the loading lever up and use a retaining pin to stop the caps falling into theaction on a c and b revolver

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cap and Ball loading
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:08:59 AM »
To repost an answer from 1997 CAS-L: " File a small notch in the business end of the latch spring so there is a
small "step" that engages the loading lever. (Frank Leaman suggested this
approach years ago.)
Tex, SASS #4"

Frank Leaman is a genius and card shark/magician. I've met him.
I've done this on both of my Uberti Walkers and neither has dropped a latch in about 5 matches I have shot them in since. The "step" is pretty touchy. If you make it too deep the latch won't come down at all and if there is too little step the fix won't work. The business end of the spring is rounded and you take a little off the upper end (toward the barrel) so when the spring snaps in place as the lever is lifted there is a more abrupt lip that it has to climb over for the rammer to come down. I bought an extra spring from Uberti before I got out the file.
Another suggestion is to lighten your loads to lessen recoil. If you insist on shooting heavy loads (50-55grs FFFg) if you are lucky all you will get is a crushed wedge that opens up the gap. You'll think your gun is really blasting but all you are getting is lost power blowing out the cylinder gap. New wedges will be in order. If you are unlucky, you will get the cylinder pin backing out of the frame or stretching of the wedge cutout. Lots of $$$ to fix. Drop the load down to 35-45grs.
Another way to reduce the recoil is to change to FFg powder. It is slower but has a smoother pressure peak.
A third suggestion is to hold the gun more firmly to prevent barrel lift from recoil. I'm not sure what effect that will actually have. If you DON'T grip the gun firmly the barrel tips right down due to the weight.
My Walker load is 44grs of FFg+lube wad+.454RB+grease on top. It's called a .44-44.

See attached photo for how I did it. You can also slope it like Bob Hope's nose like a ski jump as long as there is no flat spot that could lock the rammer up.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 08:26:55 AM »
To answer your basic questions - yes those are legal.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:16:56 AM »

2 Walkers

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply folks efforts appreciated

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com