Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 01:10:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Help on deciding which '73? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help on deciding which '73?  (Read 2160 times)
yahoody
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 06:55:00 pm »

Quote from: Cliff Fendley
..how did you post that picture?

I copied and edited your photo to highlight your rifle and wood.  Then I added that photo to my own hosting system..and linked it here.   

Having a host that you totally control is the key.

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 07:02:23 pm »

Just another option.

Another thing you can do with the finish if you want to keep it traditional but don't want to spring for the cost of real case coloring is just have Cimarron order one with an all blue receiver. Most original Winchesters were blued anyway.

My Cimarron 1876 rifle has a blued receiver and the last two 73s I ordered with blued receivers. They don't look plain at all especially with some fancy wood and checkering.

If I recall the cost of the US Finish bone case color hardening is 275 bucks but I don't think it cost any extra to order with a blued receiver. IMO I like an all blued gun instead of the standard chemical case coloring and in some ways like the blued guns equal to even the real case  bone and charcoal case hardening.

If I could figure out how to post a picture I'd post some of my other Cimarrons with solid blued receivers.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
yahoody
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:57 pm »

Fourty and King?  Gentlemen thank you for offering opinions on both ends of the spectrum.  Beautiful rifles!

And good luck at your first match!

Pettifogger
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2017, 07:09:41 pm »

One thing I just found out is that if you export a photo to the desktop or otherwise size it so that it is below 400kb you can click on the little box just below the Italics box on the response page.  Two "img" signs will pop up.  You can paste your photo ID between the IMGs and it will come up. 
yahoody
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2017, 07:10:02 pm »

Cliff, good comment.  Hadn't thought about it but sure makes sense.  My original well worn 38wcf Sporting rifle was made in 1894 and was blued.  Have yet to see a  case colored NEW Winchester but the blued 24" rifles with decent wood I have seen are a lot more like my original than my Ubertis are in some ways.  They are pretty rifles cosmetically to my eye.

High grade and checked wood would make a blued rifle really POP!.   Get that blue showing a little wear from use and I'd really like it. 

FWIW currently 60 days out for a 24" half round, checked wood.

6 months out or more for upgraded wood on the same gun.

With pricing still well under the Navy Arms/Turnbull Winchesters. 

Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 09:25:37 pm »

Cliff, good comment.  Hadn't thought about it but sure makes sense.  My original well worn 38wcf Sporting rifle was made in 1894 and was blued.  Have yet to see a  case colored NEW Winchester but the blued 24" rifles with decent wood I have seen are a lot more like my original than my Ubertis are in some ways.  They are pretty rifles cosmetically to my eye.

High grade and checked wood would make a blued rifle really POP!.   Get that blue showing a little wear from use and I'd really like it. 

FWIW currently 60 days out for a 24" half round, checked wood.

6 months out or more for upgraded wood on the same gun.

With pricing still well under the Navy Arms/Turnbull Winchesters. 

At least usually on the upgraded wood and if you get bone and charcoal case coloring keep in mind that has to be sent out once it reaches stateside and will add to the wait. The upside to all of it, after the wait you get what you want and there's not a thousand more floating around like it.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
1961MJS
Citizen

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 11:26:24 am »

Hi

This is a month or so old, but I read both of Mike Venturino's books, Lever Guns of the Old West and Shooting Sixguns of the Old West.  In his books, Mike works up loads for the guns as well as using Factory stuff.  In both Lever guns and in SAA'a (most others also), the 44/40 was the most accurate.  The .45 LC was one of the least accurate.  I don't remember what the reason was, or if it was even given. 

Later

Mike
GAF #797
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Help on deciding which '73? « previous next »
Jump to: