Author Topic: NWMP Mountie Portrayal  (Read 39732 times)

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: RCMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »
Txchuckcook/ Sgt Klondike, appears that you have a split personality. Either a chef or a cop. Food police? You don't say if you were a good cook but you look good as a Sgt so I'd keep that persona. I'm still trying to mail off my uniform for one a bit bigger. Two different local post offices couldn't do it and by the time that I got to the big PO Saturday they were closed. Hopefully tomorrow and then I will order my insignia. Can't wait to see your sled. The bigger the wheels the easier it will move.

Ed,  I'm like an onion, many layers :)   I'm a pretty good open fire dutch over cook.  I've owned and cooked on the chuckwagon for 20+ years.

Wonder why the local post offices couldn't or wouldn't mail the package.  Was it because the shipping address was out of the country?  My local PO didn't hesitate, they had all the correct forms on hand.   

The dog sled should be here early next week.   I'll be in cooking in Olathe, Kansas at the end of the month for their Wild West Festival.  I really would like to have the sled finished before I leave.  If not, I'll finish it as soon as I return.     
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2017, 12:54:12 PM »
Just a thought before I mail this tunic back overseas, are there any other cowpokes interested in a Red Serge impression? The tunic looks to be well made, nice stitching, buttons are not too hot though. My tunic is XL and is tight across my shoulders and tummy but was correct in the sleeves. I usually get XL long shirts which fit ok. My waist is 38 in. I would take 60.00 plus shipping if anyone is interested. Looks like what Sgt Klondike has on in his photos.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »
I've wondered what time period you're after too.  It may be too late, but I'd find a better copy of this logo if I was making business cards.  I think the uniform that you've put together looks GREAT!

CC Griff

I originally considered the NWMP mountie impression.  It quickly became evident, that wasn't as realistic as I once thought.   Finding the correct NWMP collar badges, shoulder titles and tunic was damn near impossible.  I then shifted gears to a more Sergeant Preston look.   

Thanks for adding the photo.   The uniform I have now is an issued uniform with the exception of the Sam Brown rig.  The rig is a very good reproduction. 
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Advertising

Re: NWMP Mountie Portrayal
« Reply #63 on: Today at 12:38:30 PM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2017, 02:22:14 PM »
Baltimore Ed, I too wear XL in most shirts. XL is listed as 46-48" chest, which is what I measure, but I've found size 48 coats usually are tight.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »
That's a neat bus card. It was the "Northwest Mounted Police" until 1904, when it was awarded the prefix "Royal". In the absence of an original, I think a Carte de Visite with an 19th century font would be closer to the marque.

My thoughts as well.  The card looks like an attempt to impersonate a current member of the rcmp.

I doubt that in the era members had a 'carte de visite' unless they were commissioned Officers.

When I was serving, we referred to collar bagdes as "collar dogs". Don't ask me why .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »
Coal Creek,

I found a good one.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »
Sir Charles, 

I like your Carte de Visite idea.   I searched google, the results produced many good examples.  Seems as photography studios back then often used the cards.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »
Started building my gun cart this week.  Working on adding wheels between the runners, two wood ammo boxes.  One box in the bed against the seat back. The other behind the seat in a cradle on the runners.  Finally the rifle rack.   

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 04:34:20 PM »
Sgt. Klondike...I've enjoyed following this thread!  Thanks for sharing all this!

I noticed from you card that you are only about 1-1/2 hrs from the Berger Sharp Shooters, an NCOWS club.  You might want to check them out.  I've made it up there a handful of times, and shot with them.  Will be at their annual match at the end of this month.

Also, you might find so interest in the Grand Army of the Frontier...there is a website with info and a group in this forum.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2017, 06:01:46 AM »
Thanks Good Troy,   I'll check out Berger Sharp Shooters.   I might be in Kansas the end of the month, if not I'll try and go to the match.  

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »
Started building my gun cart this week.  Working on adding wheels between the runners, two wood ammo boxes.  One box in the bed against the seat back. The other behind the seat in a cradle on the runners.  Finally the rifle rack.   

BRILLIANT! ::)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
Sir Charles,  I appreciate it!  It should be a very unique gun cart when it's finished.   

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2017, 06:36:05 PM »
Who's training the dog to pull it?

It would be good gun cart for this neck of the woods where we have nine months of winter and three months of tough sledding.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2017, 05:25:07 AM »
PJ,  We don't have dogs anymore.  Might use one of our reindeer, they would fit in perfectly in your area. 

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2017, 07:36:01 AM »
Thanks Good Troy,   I'll check out Berger Sharp Shooters.   I might be in Kansas the end of the month, if not I'll try and go to the match.  

There is a match at Berger Sharpshooters the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month.  So there is a match tomorrow as well.  The one at the end of the month is the annual match, Joe Berger Memorial Match, and it is a hoot!  Hope you make it there soon, you will be more than welcome, and will have a "blast"!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2017, 01:21:24 PM »
Thanks for the info Good Troy.  I'm looking forward to attending.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
Making a little progress.  Tried my hand at steaming and bending wood.  It was much easier than I thought.  Stained the sled and finished the wrappings.  Next, Canvas sides and boxes.  Once the boxes are in place, it will be time to build the rifle rack.   

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2017, 06:02:21 PM »
Tomorrow's schedule: 

1. Cover the thin wood panels with canvas
2. Make the back panel and cover with canvas

As of now, the sled moves easily over dirt, grass, concrete and gravel driveways.  Unless it becomes an issue, I don't plan on adding wheels.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »
Just screw on some steel runners. They will last a long time and skid on pretty well any surface.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »
It looks great and slides good mty but wait until you load it up with all your shootin irons and a match's worth of lead, plus the woodwork to keep your longguns and ammo stationary. And don't forget water and food for you and the huskies or donkeys or reindeer or whatever. Build your boxes and gun mounts and load'er up and see what happens. Nice work there Sgt.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com