Author Topic: Getting a lot of lead in chamber of 38/40 1873 Uberti  (Read 2944 times)

Offline mrappe

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Getting a lot of lead in chamber of 38/40 1873 Uberti
« on: July 22, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »
I have been shooting my original 73 Winchester at CAS matches for 20 years and in the past 7 years I noticed that I was getting a lot of lead buildup in the chamber all along the length of the brass. By the end of a match it would net tight when chambering a round. I would have to take the whole gun apart and scrape out the lead  flakes with a dental tool. Several months ago I bought a new Taylor's / Uberti 73 also in 38/40 so that I could stop shooting a gun that was made in 1885. I have shot the new rifle in 2 monthly matches and found that it too was doing the same thing. in fact It had more lead in it. I created a tool with a brass case a brass jag and casting resin to get the lead out, I works well but I am trying to figure out why this is happening in the first place. I have been using the same loading specs for 20 years,

Mike
God is fluxing me which is good but it is not fun.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1664
Re: Getting a lot of lead in chamber of 38/40 1873 Uberti
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »
   Greetings!

Hmmm... Is the bottom of the chamber unduly sharp?

M.T.Marfield

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
Is the lead building up at the tthroat where the bullet enters the barrel? The rings of lead might be where the throat is shaving your bullet down slightly. What does your reload look like? What is the actual bullet diameter? My .38-40 reload uses a .401 diameter bullet. Have you mic'ed your lead bullets to be sure they are what you think they are? The only thing that makes sense would be a slightly oversized bullet. And if its happening in two different rifles the only common denominator is your ammo.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:25:12 PM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:56:42 AM »
As Ed says, the only common denominator is the ammo.  Have you perchance changed the bullet you use?  Do you buy bullets or cast your own? Smokeless or BP?
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
As Ed says, the only common denominator is the ammo.  Have you perchance changed the bullet you use?  Do you buy bullets or cast your own? Smokeless or BP?

Softer lead in the bullets generally leads less. Why is it in the chamber, unless it was scraping off the bullet on chambering?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
Mrappe (as Tulrosa Mike) also posted this to the SASS Wire.  There was a lot of discussion at the time, although I don't think anyone ever figured it out.  https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/264642-getting-a-lot-of-lead-in-chamber-of-3840-1873-uberti/&tab=comments#comment-3446637

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:45:45 AM »
Maybe if it was a .45 you could assume that but I wouldn't think that would happen with the reduced bullet diameter of a 38-40. I think he's gotten some slightly oversized bullets. Maybe he will reply soon and help us solve the mystery.

Abilene chimed in while I was responding to Sir Charles. I read the sass comments but he doesn't say that he actually mic'ed the bullets he's using just that he's 'using' .401 bullets. Its got to be his ammo thats the problem to be an issue for two completely different rifles, an original winchester and a modern copy.

Reread his sass thread and in one of his replies he says that he gets a ring of lead when crimping, that tells me that he is still seating the bullet after he's crimped the case. This would put lead on the outside of the case and easily leave it in the chamber when the gun is fired. He needs to adjust his die.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com