Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 09:52:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cas City Historical Society (Moderators: St. George, Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: What was the most common length of barrel for lever actions? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the most common length of barrel for lever actions?  (Read 593 times)
Stopsign32v
Citizen

« on: July 15, 2017, 09:54:21 pm »

Winchester sold a ton of 1866 and 1873 lever actions and 44/40 was one of the most common calibers in the west. But what length of barrel was most popular back then?  Huh
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:58:48 am »

24 Inches

Coffinmaker
griffith
Active citizen

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:57:59 am »

That's surprising.  Most of the pictures I've seen appear to be carbines. Sometimes though, it's hard to tell on the old photos if the barrels are round or octagonal. All of the 24" barrels would be octagonal. Correct?
Daniel Dodge
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:52:41 pm »

The standard rifle was round barreled with the octagon being an adder. Most folks opted for the octagonal from what I read. I can check the Winchester book when I get home, but I'm pretty sure there were more 24" rifles then anything else. I think second is carbines and relatively few short rifles. After the 73 came out, you could pay to get any length you wanted as well as any stock option too.
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:56:18 pm »

The standard rifle was round barreled with the octagon being an adder. Most folks opted for the octagonal from what I read. I can check the Winchester book when I get home, but I'm pretty sure there were more 24" rifles then anything else. I think second is carbines and relatively few short rifles. After the 73 came out, you could pay to get any length you wanted as well as any stock option too.

Most common Aussie configuration (old models) would be rifle length barrel with short magazine - original long magazines are an uncommon sight here, particularly model 92. 
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:22:33 pm »

I grew up in the west and you never saw carbines. 

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cas City Historical Society (Moderators: St. George, Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: What was the most common length of barrel for lever actions? « previous next »
Jump to: