Author Topic: What was the most common length of barrel for lever actions?  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Stopsign32v

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Winchester sold a ton of 1866 and 1873 lever actions and 44/40 was one of the most common calibers in the west. But what length of barrel was most popular back then?  ???

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: What was the most common length of barrel for lever actions?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:58:48 AM »
24 Inches

Coffinmaker

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »
     That's surprising.  Most of the pictures I've seen appear to be carbines. Sometimes though, it's hard to tell on the old photos if the barrels are round or octagonal. All of the 24" barrels would be octagonal. Correct?

Advertising

Offline Daniel Dodge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
The standard rifle was round barreled with the octagon being an adder. Most folks opted for the octagonal from what I read. I can check the Winchester book when I get home, but I'm pretty sure there were more 24" rifles then anything else. I think second is carbines and relatively few short rifles. After the 73 came out, you could pay to get any length you wanted as well as any stock option too.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:56:18 PM »
The standard rifle was round barreled with the octagon being an adder. Most folks opted for the octagonal from what I read. I can check the Winchester book when I get home, but I'm pretty sure there were more 24" rifles then anything else. I think second is carbines and relatively few short rifles. After the 73 came out, you could pay to get any length you wanted as well as any stock option too.

Most common Aussie configuration (old models) would be rifle length barrel with short magazine - original long magazines are an uncommon sight here, particularly model 92. 

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »
I grew up in the west and you never saw carbines. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com