Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 04:14:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Frontier Iron (Moderator: St. George)  |  Topic: Opportunity for Uberti Schofield 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opportunity for Uberti Schofield  (Read 5993 times)
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 02:17:12 pm »

Grin  Haha!  I am also afraid that I will wet myself like a happy puppy when I get to take it home....  Not dignified at all! Shocked
That might be good for a chuckle... post pics if it happens Smiley

Will Ketchum
Chief of Detectives
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Pete Ersland

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 03:20:31 pm »

Grin  Haha!  I am also afraid that I will wet myself like a happy puppy when I get to take it home....  Not dignified at all! Shocked

At our age Bernie that wouldn't be such an unusual occurrence would it?  Roll Eyes 

Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 09:55:57 pm »

At our age Bernie that wouldn't be such an unusual occurrence would it?  Roll Eyes 

LOL! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2017, 07:45:47 am »

Three more days..... Huh

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 09:22:22 am »

I get my baby tomorrow afternoon!  Hoohrah!~ Grin

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 08:14:10 am »

I Got it, I got it!  Yippee   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Those dastardly villainous steel plates don't stand a chance now that I have my trusty Schofield!  Ha!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 11:27:20 pm »

Pics:

* Schofield copy.JPG (371.24 KB, 1050x813 - viewed 53 times.)

* Schofield-3 copy.JPG (362.62 KB, 1450x742 - viewed 55 times.)

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2017, 11:28:31 pm »

Two more.  Only let me post two at a time this time...

* Schofield-4 copy.JPG (360.05 KB, 1420x705 - viewed 47 times.)

* Schofield-6 copy.JPG (368.42 KB, 1050x865 - viewed 51 times.)

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 11:51:08 pm »

This (and your '66 rifle) are pretty and pretty cool!   Thanks for the pictures.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 10:01:15 am »

Taking the Schofield to the indoor range today to shoot some paper.  Grin So far all I have shot with it is steel.  I need to shoot it on paper with a couple different loads for the Cowboy Chronicle article I am writing about it.   Grin

While writing the article I had an epiphany of sorts.  The Army issued .45 Schofield ammo for to both Schofields and 1873 SAA to simplify supply.  .45 Schofield was a 230 grain bullet over 29 grains of powder. Even their .45 Colt ammo was down loaded to a 255 grain bullet over 30 grains of powder. These gave about 800-850 fps from a pistol.  Fast forward the 1911 in .45 ACP.  It was a 230 grain bullet, also at about 800-850 fps.

I wonder if that was coincidence, or if in 1875, they set a standard for what was a "man stopper" round, that was duplicated by the .45 ACP.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 11:23:05 am »

Actually no.  The Army established the "Down Loaded" ammunition to improve "controllability."  Numerous troops were unable to qualify with the original "Service Load" as the recoil was considered "severe."

Coffinmaker
Jake C
Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 11:46:02 am »

Beautiful pistol! The S&W top-breaks really are neat and elegant looking pistols.

Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 11:57:15 am »

Actually no.  The Army established the "Down Loaded" ammunition to improve "controllability."  Numerous troops were unable to qualify with the original "Service Load" as the recoil was considered "severe."

Coffinmaker

True, I realize why they reduced the .45 Colt to .45 Schofield levels..  I was referring to the coincidence of the 45 ACP nearly duplicating the reduce .45 Colt and 45 Schofield rounds.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »

Probably seem'd a good idea at the time??  Best I can do.  Wait ..... cause it beat throwing rocks??  Nah.  I got nothing  Huh

Coffinmaker
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 06:12:45 pm »

Range report: Went to the local indoor range today (Tuesdays retired LEOs shoot half price).

When shooting, I found that using the small rear sight notch in the bottom of the  frame latch, the Schofield shot well below the point of aim at 7-10 yards.  (The original Navy Arms 44-40 Schofield was the same) I found that if I centered the front blade even with the top of the wider “U” in the thumb latch (which is above the sight notch), it was approximately POA/POI.  It is actually quicker than finding the small rear sight notch, and acts like a “battle sight.”  I tend to “point shoot” across the tops of my pistols, anyway, whether it is a single action, a Glock 19 or 21, or my S&W Shield.  This style works very well at the typical SASS match with close range and larger targets. I really don’t want to trim down the front sight so that I use the fine notch at the bottom, as the front sight is not removable.

All group size shooting was done off-hand, traditional two hand hold at about ten yards.  For factory loads, I used .45 Colt and Schofield ammunition from Black Hills Ammunition.  Black Hills .45 Colt ammo grouped about 1 3/4" to 2" inches at ten yards.  The Black Hills .45 Schofield loads did better and shot a nice 1 1/2” group, centered on the target.

I used two favorite handloads for loads using .45 Schofield cases:  Starline .45 Schofield brass, a RNFP .452” 200 grain from Stateline Bullets, a Winchester WLP primer, and 7.0 grains of either Unique or Trail Boss.  While not maximum, they are very stout, which is what I prefer.  It is a healthy load that approximates the performance of the original black powder Schofield load, though I wouldn’t shoot it in an original Schofield. They both shot sub-2” groups from a casual, two hand traditional hold at 10 yards.

SInce I no longer use the .45 Schofields in a rifle, I may back down to 6.0 grains of Trail Boss, after I shoot off the 200 rounds of 7.0 grn I have loaded..  Should be warm enough....

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Driftwood Johnson
Driftwood Johnson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 09:17:20 pm »

I have a Laramie, which although they call it a New Model Number 3 it's really just a fancy version of a Schofield.  I had it to the range and it shot well but the top screw that you loosen to open it fell out and I nearly lost it. Any suggestions to keep this from happening again.  Loc Tite?

Actually Will, the New Model Number Three is not a fancy version of the Schofield. It is a completely separate model. Different grip shape, different barrel latch, and the lockwork is a bit different too. Shorter ejector mechanism too, that's why the extractor housing is so short. Rebounding hammer too, that the Schofield does not have.

Can't help you with the screw on top, that is an addition that Uberti made, it is a carry over from the 3rd Model Russian. The original New Model Number Threes did not have that. To remove the cylinder you just open the latch up all the way and spin the cylinder up against the thread on the arbor.

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 09:21:50 pm »

Hey pard, is that an ASM Scofield?  The baffle on the front of the cylinder that goes under the barrel looks longer than my Uberti.  IRC, ASMs did better with black powder than Ubertis.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2017, 06:39:48 pm »

Yippee!  Shot the Schofield at a River City regulator's match today.  Shot clean with it!  (In fact I shot the match clean except for one shot from my Open Top wher I was a might too anxious to get off that last shot! Huh

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2017, 09:12:12 am »

A picture of this old f@rt shooting the Schofield.

* TL Schofield 1 copy.JPG (246.11 KB, 900x810 - viewed 42 times.)

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 11:58:58 pm »

Since I was going to the range to test my new Type II Richards Conversion (I LOVE IT!!!!!), I thought I would drag the Schofield along.  Last match I thought I was still shooting low, even using the open "U" above the rear sight notch as a battle sight, with the blade even with it.  

Well, shooting at a 4" Bullseye at 7 yards, it was still shooting low, POI being about 2"- 3" below POA.  Granted I was shooting the last of my 7.0 grains of Trail Boss (I am stepping down to 6.0 grains, now), but I don't think that was the problem.  I think I will take some 6.0 grain loads and a file, and go to the range and do a little trimming of the front sight.  I like my POI to be about 3" above POA at 7-10 yards.  I figure about 1/8" off the top should be about right, but I will start at 1/16" first.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
ammodave
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 03:37:13 pm »

I shortened the front sight on my Uberti Schofield several years ago.  It was consistently 4" low at 25yds.  If you're confident what he error is and the exact range, you can use a little high school math and determine how much to shorten the sight. (Think similar triangles)
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 03:39:45 pm »

I shortened the front sight on my Uberti Schofield several years ago.  It was consistently 4" low at 25yds.  If you're confident what he error is and the exact range, you can use a little high school math and determine how much to shorten the sight. (Think similar triangles)

Thanks!  That's where I came up with 1/8", but even so, I will start with half that.  The 44-40 Schofield I had years ago, I had to trim the sight also.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
frimath
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 06:53:48 am »

I've ordered a new model 3 from cimmaron but won't be here for another couple of months. Any ideas on where to pick up a set of black plastic grips like the ones shown in the photo above on the nickel plated one???
frimath
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 06:56:36 am »

Disregard on the grips ! I re- discovered the discussion and will be looking at S and S as well as Dixie Gun works. Thanks guys.  Embarrassed
frimath
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2017, 08:29:24 pm »

Found a website called. Vintagegrips.com.

Found the exact hard rubber ( plastic) I will be needing!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Frontier Iron (Moderator: St. George)  |  Topic: Opportunity for Uberti Schofield « previous next »
Jump to: