Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2017, 06:16:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Amateur milling machine - Anybody got one - recommendations. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amateur milling machine - Anybody got one - recommendations.  (Read 2530 times)
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 06:38:33 pm »

After doing an eyeball tram of my mill using a small right angle I finally started on my first job. Making chips, HDPE chips but chips non the less. (As soon as I get my dial mic and magnetic base unit I'll properly tram the mill.) My first job is a Lewis gun-AR upper pan magazine mod to get it to work with .45 acp. I'm milling slots in a piece of HDPE spacer that will hold the acp ammo in the tray. Hardly a thousands of an inch proposition though the math for the cuts was a challenge to my old brain. If I can get the pan mag to work I will work on the ratchet assembly that mounts on the upper. As nobody has done this as far as I know it's an experimental feel as you go kinda thing. Pictures tomorrow.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 02:38:46 pm »

Here's my work so far. I like my new toy a bunch.

Here is the teflon or HDPE (not really sure) insert in the Lewis pan. I had to use a 1/4 inch aluminum spacer under it. I plan on removing a lot of the spacer to lighten the magazine. The actual Lewis pan has no bottom as the posts and slot in the center part held the bullet of the 303 ammo. I will have to make a bottom that will be screwed to the aluminum center piece. This part will be stationary on the gun while the pan and insert holding the ammo will rotate. As the pan rotates a fresh rd will drop onto a carrier that will be in the mag well. Just thinking out loud here but if I can make it spring loaded so that it catches the rd as it drops from the pan and then as the bolt moves forward the bolt will pick up the rd and depress the carrier out of the way. If I can get the pan mag to work I'll try to make the ratchet unit. We'll see what works and go from there.

* image.jpeg (120.32 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 11 times.)

* image.jpeg (120.7 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 11 times.)

* image.jpeg (115.47 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 9 times.)

* image.jpeg (144.95 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 11 times.)

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Sergeant Klondike
Texas Territorial Detachment
Top Active Citizen

NRA Life Member, SASS 11461

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 05:33:45 pm »

NIce job, Ed!

"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 05:43:22 pm »

Just a heads up. I used flat rollers on top of the column for my air spring cable instead of an actual pulley. I did use a pulley with a guard wire on the bottom of the springs. I got cheap and used what I had in the shop. Well today the cable got hung up between the top roller and the aluminum support. Didn't damage anything. But I put a thin oversized washer on each side, maybe that will keep the cable from hanging up. I've ordered my 14 inch rack and some more goodies from The Little Machine Shop today too.
Update---my goodies arrived. Will install this week before it gets too cold next week.
Update---installed the 14 inch rack yesterday and removed some slack from the cable to get more z height.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Amateur milling machine - Anybody got one - recommendations. « previous next »
Jump to: