Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 08:36:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  1860 Henry (Moderators: Flint, Major 2)  |  Topic: '66 cleaning 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: '66 cleaning  (Read 544 times)
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« on: June 28, 2017, 06:00:42 pm »

Finally decided it was time to clean the innards of my Uberti '66 44-40.

Considering that it digested about 1000 BP loads and God knows how many smokeless since last cleaned, I was surprised how little crud there was. Still had the grease from the previous cleaning.

While nicely finished externally, it sure is a rough looking piece of work inside. But - it works and is getting smoother all the time with use.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 11:26:09 am »

I have noticed that about the Uberti brass frames.  The insides are so rough from casting, it makes you wonder, but the actions and the outside are well done.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Scattered Thumbs
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 01:03:48 pm »

Finally decided it was time to clean the innards of my Uberti '66 44-40.

Considering that it digested about 1000 BP loads and God knows how many smokeless since last cleaned, I was surprised how little crud there was. Still had the grease from the previous cleaning.

While nicely finished externally, it sure is a rough looking piece of work inside. But - it works and is getting smoother all the time with use.

The magic word here is 44-40(well, 38-40 and 32-20 will also do Roll Eyes).

But you won't get away with it using 45 Colt. Grin
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 04:41:56 pm »

I once went about 5 years without opening up my .44 Spcl '66.  Sorta giving it a torcher test.  It was my main CAS rifle at the time, even for a while after I got a 44-40 '73; once the shiny wore off it just looked "right" with both my Navy conversions, and the antique-finish and antique SAA's.  Anyway, it was REALLY goopy in there but no rust, since I always sprayed Ballistol into the action when cleaning.  The brass inside had some serious patina  Grin  These days, all my BP shooting is in the .32 and .44 dash calibers.

Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:45:49 pm »

Oh WOW!!  I once ran into a shooter who's alias was "Dash Caliber"

This reply has no contribution what so ever to the OP.  It may be ignored.

Coffinmaker

Oh wait, folks use to bring me guns to work on, at the range, after a match.  Most asked how much I was gonna charge for cleaning it so I could work on it.  If it was a 45 my answer was "Fifty Bucks."  44-40 and 38-40 (a few) got a "pass" as it was swab the bore and done.
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:08:33 pm »

Oh WOW!!  I once ran into a shooter who's alias was "Dash Caliber"...

Hey, that's a good 'un!  Not taken on the SASS Alias lookup

Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:12:54 pm »

Hmmm.. Maybe a NCOWS guy?

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  1860 Henry (Moderators: Flint, Major 2)  |  Topic: '66 cleaning « previous next »
Jump to: