Author Topic: Saved a Model 42 from the parts bin.  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Saved a Model 42 from the parts bin.
« on: June 23, 2017, 03:42:29 PM »
I saved an uncut Marlin Model 42 12 gauge this week. I really don't need another Marlin but the price was right and I've got a box full of misc parts to work from. Plus it's the 12 ga version of my 20 ga Model 30 with the serrated recvr top and matted bbl and I love shooting the 20 ga. After a teardown and cleaning I found a broken spring on the out of battery hammer safety which I replaced. Nothing was cracked. Reassembled it. Next thing I did was to fire a few of my light reloads, which is where it's issues surfaced. Fired shells were sticking in the chamber and the shell stops were not letting shells out of the magazine except occasionally. I dismounted the bbl and even though the chamber looked ok it was very tight on my reloads. Only factory ammo would drop in and fall out. Not good. I built a hone out of a W-W shell that I had resized and folded the crimp back into the case. I installed a 1/4 inch bolt without it's head with a nut on the inside and outside of the case through the primer hole. I then cut a slit on opposite sides of the case and slid a piece of 400 grit emery through the case, plenty of honing oil and a Bosch drill and it cleaned up so nothing sticks now. Next was the shell stops. The 42 has two, one nestled inside of the other, the long one holds the cases in the mag and a smaller second one that allows the case onto the lifter. I had a spare set in my parts box but I couldn't get them to work no matter what combination I used. I then tried an older style large single stop with the second stop that's built into the lifter. I got that combination to work eventually. Tried it this afternoon and it feeds fine. Next thing is to have the chamber length checked and if it's short get it cut for modern shells. A buddy of mine is bringing his chamber gauge/ cutter to our WASA/CAS match tomorrow. I also plan on making the mag hold 6 shells. I need to shorten the internal take down assembly unit that's inside the mag by 1/4 inch. I'm thinking that the mag plug is bottoming out against it. I will look at my spare screws and use the nicer ones when I finish it up. Will post photos.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Saved a Model 42 from the parts bin.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 03:50:26 PM »
It's a long one.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »
Before cutting the chamber, consider using 2.5 " cases, either roll crimped or read up on the HARTIN crimp by searching our forum.

I have an older '97, and I made it hold an extra round in the mag by using AA cases cut off to 2 3/8" and roll crimped. No reamers. No new mag springs. No shortened mag follower. Coffinmaker retired just at the right time 'cause I don't plan on adding to a gunsmith's retirement fund if I can find another way myself.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:16:35 PM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
Sir Charles, I was referring to the uncut barrel not to the chamber so my self taught gun smith buddy checked the chamber and it was indeed short so he used his hand chamber reamer to cut the chamber for modern shells. I'm not going to cut the bbl. As I'm set up to reload standard W-W shells my thinking is that it's simpler to make all my 12s run the same stuff. I reload for too many variations of .45s - LC- .455 and .450 Webley- acp- auto rim and -.45-60 . Don't need another variation of 12 ga. to mess with.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 02:51:07 PM »
Nice old shotgun there Ed. Had one just like it handed down to me by my Dad from my Grandfather Oscar . Was a 12 GA . and needed a pin and couple of screws . So I fixed it and along came an Uncle complaining about he got none of his Dad's guns to pass along to his youngsters . Well it left with him. That was yrs. ago. Not sure if it even is still in the family .  Was a cool old gun , was told Grandpaw Oscar and a Great uncle used it on the prarie in the old days shooting quail for the market.,,,DT

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 10:52:46 PM »
My buddy used his chamber gauge on the Model 42 and it's short so he cut it to the correct length. Now there's a new issue, with the opening up of the chamber the recoil has been reduced so that the recoil safety doesn't want the unlock. I have another block to try first but the simplest thing is to cut the small coil spring on the plunger that keeps it engaged until the recoil moves it. But first I'll take it apart and polish and clean the plunger and then try it out.
Update- I tinkered with the recoil block yesterday, polished the plunger and found a lighter spring. It seems to work with my cas loads now. The last thing will be to make it into a six shooter, It's about a 1/4 inch short. I've been shooting my Model 24 for the last few shoots so maybe I'll try this one in August.
Update- I cut the internal magazine lock assembly back by 1/4 inch where the follower was bottoming out against it. Now she's a 6 shooter!
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »
I shot my saved Model 42 in my wasa clubs monthly match yesterday, six stages. It ran fine with no problems. Less than a box of shells shot. Whenever we start a stage sg in hand safely pointed down range I always hold my sg at my waist and load all my rds needed. It fed from the mag fine. It is a little stiff, not like my super slick Model 24 but the more i use it the better it will get. I also shot ,from the back of the gunsafe, my 30 inch bbl 73, a Ruger s/s .45 vaquero birdshead and my new nickeled Cimarron .45 acp 1911 which also ran fine with no issues. The reason I carried my shiny handguns was the I wore my shiny nose and black outfit ala Tim Strawn. As soon as I get a pix from the Carolina Schoolmarm I'll post it. My uberti rifle was a little hitchy but Im a marlin kind of guy. Schoolmarm sent my photos so here I is.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 04:19:49 PM »
Sir C .....

I am ............ CRUSHED!!  After all, Gunplumbers need love too.  Expecal with some small contribution to one's Retirement Fund!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com