Author Topic: Nels Stumo has crossed the river  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Nels Stumo has crossed the river
« on: June 20, 2017, 05:12:45 AM »
     Some of you old buffalo shooters may remember Nels Stumo from the Ackley Iowa buffalo shoots. He is being buried today after a battle with cancer. He had a cowboy action shooting range on his acreage near Goodell Iowa for many years also. Nels was 79.
Rest in peace, pard.

Jubal Starbuck

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Nels Stumo has crossed the river
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 06:08:32 AM »
 :(  Sorry to hear the news,
I don't think I had the pleasure of meeting him.
Sympathies to family
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:57 PM »
My prayers and thoughts go to the family. I remember Nels quite well. First met him when he brought his grandson, Jesse James, to the range at Ackley. He was a wonderful man and had much knowledge of buffalo shooting. He will be missed by many.
Prayers up,
Kayleen

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:35:02 AM »

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:16:52 PM »
Sorry to hear the news. When I first started shooting at them buffalo, I didn't have a clue about reloading.
I remember Nels took me over to the tailgate of his truck and went through a bunch of stuff, helping me
with stuff I didn't know. he was very kind and knowledgeable.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 12:40:41 AM »
Ahh, geez, so sad...
Hard to read the above, Nels was a great guy and just smiled when asked for advice.
The first time I had the pleasure, and it was a pleasure, to meet Nels was at a Buckskinner Rendevous held at a small county park North of Steamboat Rock, Southwest of Ackley. We had all been shooting and swapping "...true as told to me..." stories as we all leaned up against Gary Garwood's (Maker of Spring Valley Lodges) Tipi in the late Fall afternoon sun and shade. Gary passed long ago but was just like Nels, always happy to share advice and support.
Gary and one of his buddies had fur hats on, Nels had a cloth slouch hat and I had a red Scottish-style beret on my wifey had crafted for me. Somebody said "Nels, you'd look good in his hat!", grabbed it off my head and tossed it to Nels, he took his off and tossed it to Gary, Gary took his off and tossed it to me and the 'Flying Hat Toss and Giggle Fest' began! We didn't stop tossing and cackling for almost a 1/2 hour, stopping only to refill our cups and mugs with liquid fuel. I've got a pic around here someplace of us with a different hat on but can't locate it now, just the memory of the hat tossing and giggling brings a tear to my old eyes. Surprisingly we all got our own hats back after an evening of pretending we were someone else, what a hoot!
Nels, you'll be remembered by your smile, laughter and hat by this 'ol fart, God bless you!
Best regards and never stop thinking of the 'Good old Days'!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS#925

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
Rest In Peace Nels. Nels was a true gentleman, someone always that would take the time to talk, to give his take and information on anything and everything. One not to mince words, always had a smile when you were around him or wherever you saw him. After I moved away from the area he lived, whenever I ran into him it was just like he had been seeing you everyday, never small talk just for the sake of conversation. One of those guys that when they pass from this world, the world is just a little less than it was before. Glad I knew ya Nels! Crow Choker
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com